gains?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
patapouf

gains?

Post by patapouf »

What HP gains am I looking at if I turbocharge my '94 RS? For how much?<P>Moderators told me to check out some other post, but I couldn't find any good info.<BR>All help is appreciated, since I am very new to MX-3's, thanks!
VizualXTC

Re: gains?

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patapouf:<BR><STRONG>What HP gains am I looking at if I turbocharge my '94 RS? For how much?<P>Moderators told me to check out some other <BR>post, but I couldn't find any good info.<BR>All help is appreciated, since I am very new to MX-3's, thanks!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually there isn't a "set" gain for turbocharging a certain car. I know that you read about the integra kits and the civic kits claiming 65 hp gain, but it's rare for those to give exactly 65 HP. Some will give 60, some will give 70. There are a lot of posts that have covered this topic and they all agree there isn't a definate HP gain. There are too many variables, including miles on engine, engine wear, turbo wear, turbo efficiency, manifold efficiency, intercooler efficiency, ambient temperature, etc. I would suggest buying "Maximum Boost" by Corkey Bell. It is a good book that will teach you alot about the turbo process. I have heard that the B6 block can easily withstand 10psi of additional pressure without problems. That should net around 160-170BHP on the DOHC, 120-130BHP on the SOHC, with a good efficient setup. Like I said, if you have a really worn engine, the turbo may not give you that much HP. I have included some links to other posts about turbo on an RS. Also there is a search function in the upper right of the screen. I don't know if you've seen it yet but you can search the forced induction forum or the 4cyl performance forum. Welcome to the board. <P><A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 9&t=000250" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... </A><BR><A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 9&t=000253" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... </A><BR><A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 9&t=000252" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... </A><BR><A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 9&t=000274" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... =000274</A>
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

Well thanks alot! :) <P>I've read all the links you posted ( I think my head got bigger).<P>Its too bad someone doesn't make a turbo for the RS. It would save some of us headaches! oh well!<P>Wouldn't be cheaper to swap a bpt, since corksport has em for 900$(give or take)? From what I read a custom turbo could easily run for a 1000$ and would barely get the same gains?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patapouf:<BR><STRONG>Well thanks alot! :) <P>I've read all the links you posted ( I think my head got bigger).<P>Its too bad someone doesn't make a turbo for the RS. It would save some of us headaches! oh well!<P>Wouldn't be cheaper to swap a bpt, since corksport has em for 900$(give or take)? From what I read a custom turbo could easily run for a 1000$ and would barely get the same gains?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you have to remember that you need other parts for the bpt swap. tranny, flywheel, clutch, driveshafts, along with some other things. so if your motor is in good shape, it would be cheaper to do a custom setup. if your motor has high miles or is in poor shape, you might want to look into a b6t or bpt.<p>[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

In the end I think the horsepower gained with the bpt would be signifigant enough for the price difference [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

Like I said i'm not all too familiar with these engines, it does seem in great shape but it does have 150 000 kms on it. It would suck to get a nice custom setup and then the engine would drop.<P>One other thing, how much in all would a complete swap come to?(average and everything included)
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

Oh! The RS tranny, flywheel, etc. dont fit with bpt?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

here's the rundown on the bpt swap:<A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 4&t=000001" TARGET=_blank>click here</A> as for the b6t swap, you'll need to talk to someone that's done that swap.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patapouf:<BR><STRONG>Like I said i'm not all too familiar with these engines, it does seem in great shape but it does have 150 000 kms on it. It would suck to get a nice custom setup and then the engine would drop.<P>One other thing, how much in all would a complete swap come to?(average and everything included)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, it wasn until 2 days ago when Barry Clark set me strait, that I thought the BPT was a drop in. The B6T is although. The B6T gives 132HP (the same as a GS) but can be upgraded easily with a bigger turbo, higher flow fuel components, and a little tuning. The BPT is at corksport.com for only $799USD, so the BPT swap may be worth it.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the only problem with the b6t swap is if you keep the b6t head. if you do, then you need to cut a hole in your hood. it's been said that the n/a head flows better but i haven't seen numbers to prove this statement. the bpt is a direct drop...as long as you have all the parts. no fabrication was needed. cost wise, the bpt will run you more than the b6t, but the bpt has more potential and has a better starting point of 180hp vs. 132hp. either way, both are very good motors to work with.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>the only problem with the b6t swap is if you keep the b6t head. if you do, then you need to cut a hole in your hood. it's been said that the n/a head flows better but i haven't seen numbers to prove this statement. the bpt is a direct drop...as long as you have all the parts. no fabrication was needed. cost wise, the bpt will run you more than the b6t, but the bpt has more potential and has a better starting point of 180hp vs. 132hp. either way, both are very good motors to work with.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But like you said, if I were to swap the bpt, including the swap, I'd have to shell out another 1000-1500$ for a new clutch, flywheel, etc.? right?<BR>So were talking about 2000$?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patapouf:<BR><STRONG><P>But like you said, if I were to swap the bpt, including the swap, I'd have to shell out another 1000-1500$ for a new clutch, flywheel, etc.? right?<BR>So were talking about 2000$?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>about that. it all depends on your performance goals.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG><P>about that. it all depends on your performance goals.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know, but in one of your earlier posts, you said that I'd need a new tranny, flywheel, clutch, etc. <BR>Would the stock flywheel, tranny... work with the new engine?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

it's been said that it will fit with modifications to the passenger side jack-shaft or by using a 92-93 cv axle. the clutch will start slipping very soon and it's also been said that the mx tranny is weak so later on you'd need to replace it with the pro lx anyway. i'm guessing about 200-250whp but i have no proof to back that up..just a speculation.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

What do you meen by saying 200-250whp? Sorry if I dont understand, I just dont see the link.

Return to “Forced Induction”