Supercharging the KLZE

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Sean Mandell

Supercharging the KLZE

Post by Sean Mandell »

I want to SC the klze but would 5-6 pounds be to much for the klze? I don't want to be sourcing out klze's all the time. Obviously assume that my ignition system is upgraded along with fuel system, front mount intercooler, blowoff valve, radiator and fans, reprogramed ecu, headers and 2.5" exhaust. Also keep in mind that I want the car as a reliable daily driver. ;)
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Supercharging the KLZE

Post by monty73741 »

did you contact jeff abrams <A HREF="http://www.mazadamanaic.com" TARGET=_blank>www.mazadamanaic.com</A> <BR>he has done it and has a shortened tuturial<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Jeff doesnt have a KLZE he has a KL.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nvrsrndr:<BR><STRONG>I want to SC the klze but would 5-6 pounds be to much for the klze? I don't want to be sourcing out klze's all the time. Obviously assume that my ignition system is upgraded along with fuel system, front mount intercooler, blowoff valve, radiator and fans, reprogramed ecu, headers and 2.5" exhaust. Also keep in mind that I want the car as a reliable daily driver. ;)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>2.5" exhaust is FAR TOO SMALL. 3" would still be small. front mount? If youre thinking about a centrifugal SC, they are worthless....laggy and inefficient. Youre going to be near the edge of the stock cast rods, IMO, although it'll depend on your tuning. Lastly, how do you plan on packageing it? Not much room.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

well I intended on the same set up as TKT has on his site. But his was on a ford probe gt and I think the probe has more room to work with. But I am in the midst of an 89 323 1.8 Turbo and it is very time consuming but may have it running by end of summer. Any thing is posible u just have to be the type that enjoys a challange. I am not running a/c on my mx-3 so that room will be utilized. <P>Protege-------- do you think that 3" high flow resonator would keep the beast quiet? I am intent on the sleeper idea so if i could have a 3" full race exhaust with the res and still be relitively quiet then I'm doin it.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nvrsrndr:<BR><STRONG>well I intended on the same set up as TKT has on his site. But his was on a ford probe gt and I think the probe has more room to work with. But I am in the midst of an 89 323 1.8 Turbo and it is very time consuming but may have it running by end of summer. Any thing is posible u just have to be the type that enjoys a challange. I am not running a/c on my mx-3 so that room will be utilized. <P>Protege-------- do you think that 3" high flow resonator would keep the beast quiet? I am intent on the sleeper idea so if i could have a 3" full race exhaust with the res and still be relitively quiet then I'm doin it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Hmmm, id use at least 2 resonators and possibly 2 mufflers if you want to keep it really quiet. You dont want to sacrifice performance.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>2.5" exhaust is FAR TOO SMALL. 3" would still be small.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Dude you are nuts.....2.5" would be fine especially since the exhaust doesn't have as much to do with a SC system as it does with a Turbo system. 3" would be way overkill no matter what, it would just be a waste of money.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX3RS:<BR><STRONG><P>Dude you are nuts.....2.5" would be fine especially since the exhaust doesn't have as much to do with a SC system as it does with a Turbo system. 3" would be way overkill no matter what, it would just be a waste of money.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>3" would be about right for a 2.5L High compression motor under boost. We're not talking small Mitsu stuff here...153cid is like adding another cylinder to a 4G63. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

Protege--------- I think i'll go with one res first. I think 2 would create to much backpressure. <P> I also think that the v6 from mazda has a quiet and very smooth engine and with quality suspension makes it a very comfortable ride at high speeds. my bodys crx frankinstein turbo (b20 crv bottom end and b18 gsr head) is one crazy ride but when you drive something like that you just point and pray. And on the highway I have to almost scream to say something. :eek:
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG><P>3" would be about right for a 2.5L High compression motor under boost. We're not talking small Mitsu stuff here...153cid is like adding another cylinder to a 4G63. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I dont have a 4G63 that would be too small, I have a 2.6L G54BT engine, just a little bigger than the KL motor. I know what I am talking about and there is no reason to have 3" exhaust on a supercharged car, totally overkill
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

good old crvtec....and it's turbocharged....
Steve
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX3RS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>I dont have a 4G63 that would be too small, I have a 2.6L G54BT engine, just a little bigger than the KL motor. I know what I am talking about and there is no reason to have 3" exhaust on a supercharged car, totally overkill</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, the KL heads and manifolds flow in the mid to high 90's for Ev, which affects greatly how much exhaust you need. A supercharged KLZE @ the stock injectors' limit is going to be around 300bhp, which is in the right area for a 3" exhaust. Turbos and superchargers both flow alot of air and need to push it out the tail pipe. Of course, it depends on what SC [Vortech, Roots, etc], desired power curve, and boost level.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG><P>Well, the KL heads and manifolds flow in the mid to high 90's for Ev, which affects greatly how much exhaust you need. A supercharged KLZE @ the stock injectors' limit is going to be around 300bhp, which is in the right area for a 3" exhaust. Turbos and superchargers both flow alot of air and need to push it out the tail pipe. Of course, it depends on what SC [Vortech, Roots, etc], desired power curve, and boost level.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ahh so true. What is the difference in flow between the ZE heads and the stock KL heads? Just a little curious

Return to “Forced Induction”