no bpt...going to turbocharge 1.6 sohc

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
marshmallow15

no bpt...going to turbocharge 1.6 sohc

Post by marshmallow15 »

i decided to go for turbocharging my sohc instead of a whole new engine. ok, i can get the intercooler, rx-7 fuel/water pump, turbo. where can i purchase a gtx manifold? will it bolt right up to the sohc motor? i'm planning for an older mx-6 turbo since it bolts right onto the gtx manifold.<P>also, i think a turbo sohc would be similar to the bpt. have you guys ever wondered how much hp the bpt would put out without the turbo in it?<P>if anyone has done this before, have you guys experienced any problems?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
OsoSlo z28

Re: no bpt...going to turbocharge 1.6 sohc

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

are you sure the rx water pump will fit? what's wrong with the pump you have now? for you to put a turbo on your car, you'd be looking at a similar motor to the b6t, not the bpt.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

I have finally got mine running, but I did the DOHC Turbo Bolt On here is a few picks to help you get started. I am also debating on putting in a 2ndGen RX-7 Fuel Pump, I will be putting in Protege LX Injectors today to help with stalling and leaning out that occurs.<P> Image <BR>This was a little custom work done on a Misubishi Intercooler so it would fit in front of the radiator.<P> Image <BR>This pic is where I got the oil from.<P> Image <BR>This is where I put the oil back right into the block no drilling any holes in my oil pan.<P> Image <BR>If you can get mandrel bent pipes then do it, I think the job looks alot cleaner when your all done.<P> Image <BR>This is how I ran my boost gauge and BOV. The BOV is from a Ford fit like a glove.<P> Image <BR>You will also need to filter the air. Go with a nice K&N filter.<p>[ May 15, 2002: Message edited by: Kick @#$ Mazda ]
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

wow. that's a 'kick a-- mazda'..heheh. the piping looks clean. yea well i heard that getting a bigger water pump might be needed for putting on a turbo. but if it's not necessary, then i prolly won't.<BR>i'm going to mount my intercooler above my engine under a hood scoop to make it look more 'one-of-a-kind' and to help keep it a sleeper car.<BR>one question....you said you put the turbo on your dohc, but your profile says that your mx3 is an rsr?
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>wow. that's a 'kick a-- mazda'..heheh. the piping looks clean. yea well i heard that getting a bigger water pump might be needed for putting on a turbo. but if it's not necessary, then i prolly won't.<BR>i'm going to mount my intercooler above my engine under a hood scoop to make it look more 'one-of-a-kind' and to help keep it a sleeper car.<BR>one question....you said you put the turbo on your dohc, but your profile says that your mx3 is an rsr?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>RS is a 4cyl engine. The GS has the V6. The RS came in a single and dual overhead cam design.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

I just learned that these things can be boosted with 45 psi to get 300 hp with everything stock :roll:
Steve
maldo

Post by maldo »

You don't need 45psi to hit 300whp. It all depends on the turbo. 18psi with a vj14 would equate to around 200whp, the same psi on a VJ20 is around 250+. Granted this all depends on mods too.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>RS is a 4cyl engine. The GS has the V6. The RS came in a single and dual overhead cam design.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yea i know...that's why i was questioning if had an rs or a gs. because he said he modded his dohc, but his website is about his mx3 rs.
- team slideways
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

His car is a 94rs so it would be DOHC right?<BR>I think only 92-93 came in sohc rs.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Mine is a DOHC, but dont get confused with the fact that a turbo exhaust manifold from a 323GTX will fit a SOHC or DOHC the same.<p>[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: Kick @#$ Mazda ]
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
Swego

Post by Swego »

I'm not to sure if puting the intercooler above the engine is such a good idea. The intercooler is there to cool off the air coming out of the turbo, heat rising from the engine can be a problem.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

yea i know bout the intercooler...that's why i want to put a hood scoop above it to cool it down. that way no one can see the intercooler in the front grille and so i can keep my mx3 a sleeper car.
- team slideways
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>yea i know bout the intercooler...that's why i want to put a hood scoop above it to cool it down. that way no one can see the intercooler in the front grille and so i can keep my mx3 a sleeper car.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>shut-up
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i had another question...i think a manual swap is too expensive and time consuming. would i be able to run this small turbo system on my stock transmission? if so, is it necessary to replace any parts with stronger ones? i'm planning to run on normal daily driving boost levels and no detailed tuning to the system until i get more money.<P>oh and when you guys say that most of the turbos produce 200-300 whp (estimated), do you mean an extra 300hp from the turbo alone or do you mean with the mx-3s stock hp included?
- team slideways
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Owners of cars with intercoolers mounted on top of the engine make changes to where they are mounted for performance sake. RX-7's have terrible intercoolers for there twin turbos, most of those owners choose a better intercooler just for the better performance gains they get. (Not to say that they are all bad I see first hand the benefits of mounting the intercooler in front.)<P>Think Fuel....when bolting on your turbo, because that is as equally as important to the project as anything else. Especially when your doing 80mph and your car decides to lean out.<P>As far as stock trans, keep it until it goes which may or may not happen depends on your driving habits that could also go for your clutch as well since it will be a daily driver still. <P>Sorry about that it sounded alot better in my mind...<p>[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: Kick @#$ Mazda ]
My MX-3 Website

Return to “Forced Induction”