Stock Manifold Flow

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
VizualXTC

Stock Manifold Flow

Post by VizualXTC »

Will the stock manifolds flow enuff air to spool a T3? Will it work if I ported them? I'm just tryin to turbo my K8 without having to pay $900 for manifolds.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
pelado

Re: Stock Manifold Flow

Post by pelado »

I'm not sure I understand the question but I'll have to assume you're talking about the exhaust manifolds.<P>The K8 puts out enough hot gases (not air) to spin a T3, no need to port 'em.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG>I'm not sure I understand the question but I'll have to assume you're talking about the exhaust manifolds.<P>The K8 puts out enough hot gases (not air) to spin a T3, no need to port 'em.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Same damn thing
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I thought you were talking about the intake manifold. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]<P>Yeah, it'll flow enough to spool a T3 enough for what you need to do with it.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
mattster

Post by mattster »

It will?? I always heard that you need to get new exhaust manifolds to run a turbo?
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I was just playin with the "same damn thing" remark.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mattster:<BR><STRONG>It will?? I always heard that you need to get new exhaust manifolds to run a turbo?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The main reaon you need a new manifold (mostly for strait blocks) is so that you can run the turbo directly off the manifold. On the V6 we need both banks to spool the turbo so it can't be connected to the manifold. Alot of them will put the wastegate on the manifold but we'd need it by the turbo or we'd only be releasing one bank's pressure. At least that's what my research has led me to believe.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Also given the distance of the turbo from the motor without new headers would kinda make it spool up really slow ;) then again if you like forumula one type performance....
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
pelado

Post by pelado »

Exhaust manifold design is not that critical when it comes to turbocharged engines. Sure, it's optimal to have a custom exhaust setup but it's not necessary. Lots of V-8s have run single turbos with stock exhaust manifolds. Lots of turbos out there without waste gates built into the manifolds also.<P>Air is the mixture we breathe, combustion gases are entirely different so it ain't the "same damn thing."
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG>Exhaust manifold design is not that critical when it comes to turbocharged engines. Sure, it's optimal to have a custom exhaust setup but it's not necessary. Lots of V-8s have run single turbos with stock exhaust manifolds. Lots of turbos out there without waste gates built into the manifolds also.<P>Air is the mixture we breathe, combustion gases are entirely different so it ain't the "same damn thing."</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LMFAO, alright dood.<P>P.S. I said ALOT not ALL. Try not to be a prick huh.<p>[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
Manach

Post by Manach »

And about the I4 and a Gerreth T3, if I get the right manifold, will the T3 be ok?<P>T3 can be find in the ThunderBird, right?<P>Thanks
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Manach:<BR><STRONG>And about the I4 and a Gerreth T3, if I get the right manifold, will the T3 be ok?<P>T3 can be find in the ThunderBird, right?<P>Thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, the T3 will be fine. It does come off the 1989 t-bird. It is an IHI so it will fit the manifold avaiable at Corcksport. If you get a mating plate (piece of metal that will fit the manifold to the turbo) you may be able to just customize a wastegate pipe into your stock manifold depending on flow. You may even be able to run a small pipe from the exhaust manifold to the turbo and put the wastegate on that pipe. Just some options.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
Manach

Post by Manach »

Just a question like that..<P>How much should a use IHI should be sell?<P>I'm dealing something here.. and I wanted to see if I got the correct price or not.<P>What should I expect for a price?<P>IHI, BoV, and maybe IC, he got a spare one.. I think there are some bearing that has burn, so a rebuilt could be an option.<P>Thanks in advance.
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Manach:<BR><STRONG>Just a question like that..<P>How much should a use IHI should be sell?<P>I'm dealing something here.. and I wanted to see if I got the correct price or not.<P>What should I expect for a price?<P>IHI, BoV, and maybe IC, he got a spare one.. I think there are some bearing that has burn, so a rebuilt could be an option.<P>Thanks in advance.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would pay about $250 for that. Especially if you have to rebuild the turbo
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

I pick that up for $100.00 US, but the manifold had a crack in it and the turbo need had a few miles on it.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website

Return to “Forced Induction”