what are the advantages or disadvantages

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Josh
Supporting Member

what are the advantages or disadvantages

Post by Josh »

i know its possabe to have a turbo and a supercharger on the same car. say there both putting out the same pressure would they drownd eachother out or produce twice as much power. what are the possibilitys of having both. also alone is a supercharger better than a turbo.
VizualXTC

Re: what are the advantages or disadvantages

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh:<BR><STRONG>i know its possabe to have a turbo and a supercharger on the same car. say there both putting out the same pressure would they drownd eachother out or produce twice as much power. what are the possibilitys of having both. also alone is a supercharger better than a turbo.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't know a whole lot on this subject, but I have heard that some diesel trucks use a turbo and supercharger combo. I imagine that if you ran both with ~9PSI, you would see a gain of ~18PSI worth of boost in the combustion chamber. I have heard that the turbo is a more efficient way to go because it is using power you are already losing (out the tail pipe) to make power, while the supercharger is using power that would otherwise go to makin your car move, while still loosing all that power out the tail pipe. Do yourself a favor and go to a book store and pick up 2 books. "Maximum Boost", and "Supercharged" both by Corky Bell. They will tell you the difference between the SC and TC. Alot of people swear by these 2 books.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

no if you have 9psi on the turbo and 9psi on the supercharger you will still have 9psi of boost but increased airflow (CFM). I wouldnt ever consider putting both on a car. Too much money, not necessary, very difficult tuning. You can get a ball-bearing turbo to spool very quickly if you are worrying about turbo lag.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX3RS:<BR><STRONG>no if you have 9psi on the turbo and 9psi on the supercharger you will still have 9psi of boost but increased airflow (CFM). I wouldnt ever consider putting both on a car. Too much money, not necessary, very difficult tuning. You can get a ball-bearing turbo to spool very quickly if you are worrying about turbo lag.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How is that so? If you put 9PSI in a space that already has 9PSI, you would have 18PSI in that area. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking how it works. If you have a higher air flow into the chamber with the same valve timing, wouldn't it put a higher pressure? Like I said, I don't know, I'm just speculating. Help me understand.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i would think that you would have higher airflow. and thats why i asked the question cause i dont know as much as i wish i do. so im trying to find out as much as possable before i go spending thousands of dollars. but i think that your rite. it would produce more.
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh:<BR><STRONG>i would think that you would have higher airflow. and thats why i asked the question cause i dont know as much as i wish i do. so im trying to find out as much as possable before i go spending thousands of dollars. but i think that your rite. it would produce more.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It would depend on how they are arranged. If they are installed in parallel, 9 psi, if in series, 18 psi.<P>You won't find out near as much from this (or any other) board as you need to know before you spend thousands of dollars. Buy the Corky Bell books and stick your face in them. Knowledge is a good thing, but especially so before you spend money. <P>The dumbest posts I have seen on this board are from the ones that buy a KLZE and THEN post to find out how to identify one!!!<P> :roll:
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i have two of corky bell's books being mailed to my door, should be here any day. i know i wont find out all the information i will need from a bulliten board. but i was hoping that someone else may have looked into doing something like this before, so im gathering what i can, and using what i need. thanks for all the info.
maldo

Post by maldo »

There is an old MR2 using both systems. The supercharger is on all the time, allowing the turbo to spool very quickly. The problem lies with the complexity of the system and difficulty in tuning. There is really no need for it.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the meguires' itr also has the dual setup. it's in two issues of super street. it put out some pretty impressive numbers. even still, it's got to be a mechanical nightmare.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

running both is a waste of money and i dont thing we have the space (i have a gs so im speaking for gs owners)<BR>opinion is what decides which to go with.<BR>superchargers run off the crank so essentially they must take hp to make more where as turbos use the exaust gases to power it.<BR>turbo lag happens with turbos, this is the time between spooling up and releasing the power so its not there right away.<BR>supercharger power is instant.<BR>all opinion\<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>There is an old MR2 using both systems. The supercharger is on all the time, allowing the turbo to spool very quickly. The problem lies with the complexity of the system and difficulty in tuning. There is really no need for it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The old MR2 setup (pre-91) you're referring to only used a supercharger but it used some kind of clutch to give it a variable speed.<P>Somebody posted that some diesels use this setup and that is true. The one I'm familiar with took up about the same amount of space as a small house and put out about 900 KW, it turned a generator! The supercharger gave it some boost while waiting for the turbo to spin up. Diesels love lots of boost and are ideal for it. <P>A supercharger and turbocharger setup isn't going to save money, it's going to take more money to make it work than either a turbo or SC alone.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel

Return to “Forced Induction”