Question about painting interior

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MarkMoore

Question about painting interior

Post by MarkMoore »

I bought my mx-3 about a month and a half ago. I'm thinking about repainting the plastic interior items (vents, speaker covers, etc.) but don't know how to go about it. I don't really know which type of paint is best for such a job. Any one know what type of paint should be used and/or have some other tips for me when performing this task? Any other cost effective tips for sprucing up the interior?
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
Typhoonk

Re: Question about painting interior

Post by Typhoonk »

rough up the plastic a little with 120 grit sandpaper, then use plastic spray paint(or interior paint). Do like 2 or 3 coats. Then use some sort of clear coat or sealer. Can't remember what the stuff is called. Anybody help me out?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

i cant remember what the name of the paint is but i know its made by krylon and its for plastics such as interior trim :shrug:
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

just go to any major chain store(canadian tire, autozone, etc) and just ask them about plastic sprays, every store will probably have a different make or brand.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
mx-III97

Post by mx-III97 »

SEM is the best paint to buy.. its made for all plastics and vinyl... sanding is not required but i highly recomend it so the paint does not scratch off....my friends and i used this paint in his civic and it works really well.... the paint cost roughly around $9 a can and u can pick it up at any automotive paint store... the pepboys kind suck... they tend to get chalky after time and begin to crack off.... SEM comes in a variety of colors too....so check it out....
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

If you go to an automotive paint store, they will tell you what you need. SEM black vinyl paint is what I use. Use a scruff pad on first, then I put Bulldog adhesive, then spray the vinyl paint. It doesn't peel or crack, but using non-vinyl paint will. An investment of about $40 will get your whole interior painted. Good luck!
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

is it Krylon ...Fusion ? :shrug:
Johnomx3

Post by Johnomx3 »

Yeah its Krylon Fusion for plastics.. Its great... i found that scuffing the plastic with sand paper then primer (plastic primer usually greys the best) then once its all primed krylon over it.. i had a problem with the krylon without primer.
Dual '92 RS's, Both white, one RS spoiler on standard daily driver and a automatic parts car.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588315

Return to “Appearance”