Painting interior?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Zeak

Painting interior?

Post by Zeak »

ok i want to paint the center of my dash white but im not to sure how to can anyone help me?

:2thumbsup:
Talon_66

Re: Painting interior?

Post by Talon_66 »

Basically all you do is take the center console apart. If you are unsure of how to do this, do a search and u will find a walk through on how to take it apart.

Painting is generally simple.
Get some fine grit sandpaper, sand down the pieces, clean them. Put on X layers of Basecoat, then the paint, and clear coat if needed.

I put on some Kameleon Red to Blue. Looks good :2thumbsup:
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
cooper_9

Post by cooper_9 »

pretty much what he said. but to take off the dash pieces wut u gotta do is...unscrew the centre console and take it out, unscrew the piece but the shifter and pop out the plastic screws in the front by the pedals and take that off, unscrew the thing around the stereo (screws are at the top), then the air vent pops out i think. the piece that goes around the shifter is actually 2 pieces, u can unscrew the part u want to paint and leave the other. its really easy, just be patient.
Jay Cooper
92 Blue GS
Zeak

Post by Zeak »

basecoat you meaning primer?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Basecoat is paint, primer is primer, goes under paint/basecoat
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Zeak

Post by Zeak »

ok i tried what you guys said and im getting runs and fish eyes? anyone have any ideas?
im going white all the way down the center
out of 8 panels i got one looking good lol
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by Wesley:
ok i tried what you guys said and im getting runs and fish eyes? anyone have any ideas?
im going white all the way down the center
out of 8 panels i got one looking good lol
Runs are caused by applying too heavy a coat of paint. You want multiple EXTREMELY lightly sprayed applications to build your color up VERY slowly & let each coat dry thoroughly between apps. "Fish eyes" are usually caused by the the natural oils from your hands left on the plastic. Use rubber gloves to handle the parts and hopefully before applying any coats you gave the plastic a good rubdown with rubbing alcohol. Hope that helps...
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Here's the "how to" link from Barry Clark off of the Appearance FAQ...

http://www.barrykclark.com/paintparts.htm
Blindmelon

Post by Blindmelon »

Before I painted my dash pieces, I wiped them all down with a wax/grease remover, then I primed them and painted the using light coats and used a heat gun between coats to help them dry. I got no runs or fish eyes. Good luck.
Second place is the first loser.
Blindmelon

Post by Blindmelon »

Before I painted my dash pieces, I wiped them all down with a wax/grease remover, then I primed them and painted the using light coats and used a heat gun between coats to help them dry. I got no runs or fish eyes. Good luck.
Second place is the first loser.
Zeak

Post by Zeak »

thanks perhaps i have them all painted and cleared looks real good thanks man.. :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Return to “Appearance”