CF hoods Without pins

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

CF hoods Without pins

Post by MikeUK »

Can a CF hood be fitted without the Pins?? If so, how do you do this?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: CF hoods Without pins

Post by Custommx3 »

You have to.
If you dont, u'll destroy your hood.
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

thats not true i know lots of ppl that have cf hoods and dont use hood pins with absolutly no problems......if its a good hood they you shouldnt need it.....
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Post by MikeUK »

From the amount of posts Barry has done Im gonna take it he knows a little more. After all hes gonna have the same hood as me, on his project car. Has any one tryed it??

Cheers

<small>[ March 23, 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: MikeUK ]</small>
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

iv gone 100 pluss MPH and have had no problem. but i put in adjustable rubber stops in place of the OEM, and adjusted my latch all the way down. the only problem is the latch on the CF hoods is too thin. so im going to weld a sleve on the latch to thiken it. but its alot of work and i think im just going to go to locking hood pins. alot safer and when i go to the track i want some security.

but not running hood pins wont destroy your hood unless you dont know how to fit it properly.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

where the stress point for the HOOD is the latch...not the actuall metal part but where the latch is glassed into the HOOD...........
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

haha, since when does being a post-***** make you more intelligent :) (not knocking custommx-3, but thats the funniest thing I heard all day)

Man I must be stupid, only like 600 posts...theres people on here with 2400 posts, they must be 4 times smarter than me.

On a serious note. Haven't there been cases of poeples carbon fibre hood tearing at the hinges and smashing in the windshield?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Yes, there has been. A long time ago there was a post of a car that had its CF hood flip up. I believe it caused a couple thousand dollars worth of Damage.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

this is true it did happen but its just like anything you buy and bad product and you get bad results....and barry is very very intelligent when it comes mx-3's but and i agree with 99% of the things he says but this i dont agree with.....as long as the hood is fit right and it is a good product u shouldnt have any problems...but it is up to you on what you want to do if you worry about it by all means put hood pins in.....
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Hood pins are just an added security just incase of a structural defect or faulty product
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Post by MikeUK »

Very funny killergirkin, I wasnt stating Barrys intelligent's, infact his intelligent was never the subject. But for a person who answers most posts on here, I was in the thinking that hes gonna know quite a bit about this sort of thing, from other peoples past experinces etc.

Cheers everyone
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

all right i gonna put this thing to bed...

u dont NEED to get hood pins but it is strongly recommended that you use them....

Its ur hood.........

oh ask jarid what happens when u dont run hood pins

<small>[ March 24, 2004, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: monty73741 ]</small>
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Originally posted by David Witherow:
this is true it did happen but its just like anything you buy and bad product and you get bad results....and barry is very very intelligent when it comes mx-3's but and i agree with 99% of the things he says but this i dont agree with.....as long as the hood is fit right and it is a good product u shouldnt have any problems...but it is up to you on what you want to do if you worry about it by all means put hood pins in.....
A "good" product? What would you call a "good" carbon fiber hood? The one that was posted on this site that literally tore off the car was a VIS. I'm pretty sure thats about as "good" as it gets.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Post by MikeUK »

Ok the pins are going on then.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I have a video of Jarid going down the racetrack and his inverted hood popped up and tore up his roof as well as destroying the hood. Yes, you need the hoodpins. Those who arent, are risking it.

Return to “Appearance”