HELP! power sunroof problem

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
yuuki

HELP! power sunroof problem

Post by yuuki »

heya fellow mx-3ers! I have a little problem with my power sunroof and i was wondering if anyone would be able to help...

sometimes i am not able to close my sunroof all the way down... when i try to close the roof when the sunroof is fully open it will slide back and reach the point where it won't be able to slide any further with no problems... however it won't drop into place sometimes and just stay slightly open... it sounds like the sunroof is still trying to push it to close but my sunroof doesn't go down at all...

has anyone got any ideas to what may be causing this? would a little grease or oil on the railings harm anything? has anyone had this problem before?

thanks for any replies!

(oops forgot to mention that this is on a '94)

<small>[ January 16, 2004, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: yuuki ]</small>
nope-mx3

Re: HELP! power sunroof problem

Post by nope-mx3 »

I think I got the same problem.
I tried to apply some grease and stuff, but it didn`t do any good. Guess I`ll have to remove the sunroof and look directly at the mechanism.

Probably some gears that are worn out or something.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

hey thanks for the reply nope-mx3

so grease didn't help at all huh? did it create more problems?

hey if it ain't a bother, tell me what you find out when u remove the sunroof and take a deeper look at it

jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

Grease is too thick, use WD-40 to clean the rail out good. See if the wind deflector is in the way and preventing the sunroof from going down.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

better yet, take the ugly wind deflector off, its a much cleaner look...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

is that wind deflector the piece in the very front of the sunroof mechanism?

WD-40 won't damage the railing or pieces on the mechanism would it?
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

well... i used WD-40... haven't tried to use it yet because it's raining here now... i hope this fixes it... it did make it so much more cleaner however! :)
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

yeah thats the piece.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
seneca

Post by seneca »

HEY!!! SO its not just me afterall!
Yeah guys I have that same prob. But I found a solution to get it down! lol WHen you have your sunroof to the "almost" closed postion (as far forward as it will go) try this: very quickly press open (back) then hold close (forward). If you do it very quickly when its "stuck" it should work. It ALWAYS works for me. If not the first time, It will for the second! lol Plz lemme know if you figure out what the prob is!
Hope I helped,
Tyson
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
superslacker

Post by superslacker »

on my mx-3 it only happens when i open the roof at high-speeds. usually i have to close the roof as much as possible, then take it back a little, and then finish closing it.
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Had this problem last summer and it very easy to fix :D

My sunroof closes so strong now that you really wouldent want to get your fingers in the way ;)
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
DJ

Post by DJ »

I have the opposite problem, my sunroof doesnt like to pop open on it own sometimes. I usually have to hold the button then push up on it. I'm guessing just some lube would fix that up? Heh, and it doesnt like closing all the way doing 180.
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hi DJ it's the same problem,but in your case i would clean the rubberlist going around the sunroof first,and then clean all the way round where the list touches the roof...

Then put some liquid silicone all around the sunrooflist,so it wont stick again.

If that dosent help you should just do as i explained earlier :D
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”