Turbo Rotary MX-3?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
RanMan

Turbo Rotary MX-3?

Post by RanMan »

Has anyone heard about or seen a Turbo Rotary powered MX-3? Is this even possible? I was just thinking about how fast the MX-3 would be if that could be done. It would sound WICKED too! I don't know how many of you have ever heard a rotary engine that was race modified, but it sounds SOOOOOOO wicked! In fact, for those who will be going to the 1st Annual Lone Star MX-3 Meet, you just might get to hear one. The past few years, there have been a couple of cars that are using rotary engines (with a turbo if I remember right). One was a Toyota Starlet with a turbocharged rotary. It was called Nery's Way. You can see a picture of this car at <A HREF="http://www.rotaryexpress.com/cars.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rotaryexpress.com/cars.htm</A> (it is the 5th picture in the left column...the 9th picture from the top of the page). At any rate, has anyone heard of using a rotary engine in an MX-3?
93mx3

Re: Turbo Rotary MX-3?

Post by 93mx3 »

Ah Marcos Acosta?<BR>Jim <BR>93 RS
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

what year of rotary engine is best that will fit a mx3,my boss from the shop has 1 sittin in the back of the shop.Seems like the have alot power from what i read in the rotorhead.com site.
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I have NO idea! I am not sure if there is a way to hook up a rotary to a front transaxle. Most likely, you would have to convert the car to a rear wheel drive which would probably be a major undertaking. Does anyone know if there was ever a front wheel drive rotary car?
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

You're right, I don't think you can do FWD rotary power. Swap the MX3 to RWD and all you've got is an expensive, fast car that handles like crap. Poor little thing just wasn't designed for RWD. Not to shatter any hopes or dreams or anything, I just highly doubt it's possible, or worth it if you managed it. Acosta's MX is a drag car which means it doesn't have to handle, and has nothing but a stretched MX3 shell in common.<P>mason<BR>MX3SE
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”