Procarparts reverse glow gauges

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
2.5mx3

Procarparts reverse glow gauges

Post by 2.5mx3 »

I was looking around for gauges, and although these have been available for quite a while on procarparts.com, they're now on sale for $23.95. Not sure how long they've been this price, but it's a great deal for some pretty nice gauges.<p>Anyone buy these gauges? Do they require you to remove the needles?<p>http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=MAZ%2DMX3%2D9295%2DWHXX%2DXXXX%2DRVGX<p>http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=MAZ%2DMX3%2D9295%2DSVXX%2DXXXX%2DRVGX<p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: 2.5mx3 ]</p>
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Acamori

Re: Procarparts reverse glow gauges

Post by Acamori »

i have a set like the first ones (i think i got them from procarparts through ebay) they don't require taking the needles off but the gas/temp gauge is a little bit tricky. only problem i've had is that the inverter stoped working but that's probably my fault. they still look a hell of a lot better than the factory ones even if they don't glow.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

i have the same ones check out my car domain site 4th page...
quite easy diy job and all they require to fit the gas / temp gauge is a little slit and they fit perfectly
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Thanks for the link. Where did you cut the slit? I can't even see it... must be pretty small. ;)
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

By the way, I noticed that the stock white needles kinda blend into the guage faces. If I were to paint them (red for example), I wonder how they would appear at night against the green/blue color?
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

when making the slit.... just be very carefull not to damage the circuit board on the back. cut it where there isn't any circuit board
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i think kick *** mazda painted his needles...
hey hank i still need to install mine so if ur gonna install them could stop by my office & we could do both cars
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

the red needles will just look black against the gauge face at night since they are not luminated. And as said you dont need to remove the needles to install these. Lastly you dont need to cut a slit, if you twist the temp needle so that it is parallel to the gas needle you can slide the face over both at the same time. do NOT try to twist the gas needle as it pops off and stays off whereas the temp needle will snap back on if broken. :cool:
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Has anyone found any good guage faces in km/h?
pipes

Post by pipes »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Has anyone found any good guage faces in km/h?
<hr></blockquote>
I just ordered some from www.speedhut.com
You can pick a huge range of colours and design it yourself.. pretty good site! Cost a bit more though..
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:
the red needles will just look black against the gauge face at night since they are not luminated. And as said you dont need to remove the needles to install these. Lastly you dont need to cut a slit, if you twist the temp needle so that it is parallel to the gas needle you can slide the face over both at the same time. do NOT try to twist the gas needle as it pops off and stays off whereas the temp needle will snap back on if broken. :cool: <hr></blockquote><p>Talking about "twisting" those little needles makes me a little nervous! lol Are you speaking from experience, Shaun?<p>What about using glow in the dark or luminous paint on the needles? Would this even be worth trying?
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

yea.. when installing my speedhut gauges in the mx-3 i actually twisted the fuel gauge and ended up having to replace my entire cluster. The second cluster i twisted the temp gauge counter clockwise and slide the face over both needles at the same time. When installing a pair for my friend the temp needle actually broke off cause i was being careless but it just snaps back on. It also will not need to be re-calibrated unlike the fuel gauge. Its easy to do and the best way to do it without having to make cuts to the needles and/or faces.<p>As far as glow in the dark paint, i really have no idea if that would glow with the indiglo lighting. I know that red needles would look dark cause i painted mine just before i sold the car.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Seanthepizzadude65065

Post by Seanthepizzadude65065 »

The gagues are really cool but you dont have to cut or do any twisting of the gauges, just remove them from the main cluster and they will slide right on, i found this out after i snapped my fuel gauge off lucky i own 2 mx3s, also does anyone have a fuel gauge for sale?
14" 5 spoke PRIME rims, GS spoiler,180 Watt Sony Head unit with a 4 Polk Audio EX series speakers, Kicker Solo Baric 8" sub, StrandTec custom Air system, Blue under dash neon tube, Blue windsheld wipernozzle LEDS,straght-through dual tip exhaust, Belive it or not but, I did a 0-60 in 7.23 seconds!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/seanthemx3er
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

its the easiest thing you can install on your car, it took me 10 minutes to install the whole thing, i have installed 7 of these. the trick on the temp/fuel gauge is to remove the screws holding the fuel gauge on the face, basically they face eachother like this, \ / , what you do is when you remove the screws just rotate the gauge so they look like this , / / , (DO NOT TOUCH the needle, just hold the piece behind the face and rotate it, make sure that the needle doesnt rotate by gripping to the face)and just put the face on, and screw the fuel gauge back to its original place. simple eh! :D
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

i could be wrong but i think the glow in the dark paint would only be noticable when the lights are off. they might work on the gauges on the 2nd link. but i doubt the paint would be brighter than the face on the first. it would give off enough light to make the needles glow when the lights are off. but not noticably enough until there is a dark background. hope thats not confusing. but thats just my 2 cents.<p> wes

Return to “Appearance”