interior paint help!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
koreanmx-er

interior paint help!

Post by koreanmx-er »

i see alot of people have painted interior parts in there cars like the air vents the plastic that surrounds the shift boot and such and i was wondering how and what kind of paint did they use
did you sand it down? or spray over it , and what is the best white paint to use i do have access to a air compressor for paint but would like a can of paint all replys are greatly appreciated
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
BucktownMx3

Re: interior paint help!

Post by BucktownMx3 »

Krylon fushion
or regular krylon
or Rustoleum<p>but that is only if u dont wanna spend a lot of money. i dont have lots of money andi got very good results when i did mine.<p>[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: BucktownMx3 ]</p>
94 mx3 gs (sold)
92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX(14.3 @ 99.08- almost completely stock)
nksmx-3

Post by nksmx-3 »

i used just regular old spraypaint. first i washed the plastic then primered(a must if you want the paint to stick), spraypaint, then clearcoat. all together it cost me 60$, and no problems so far.
late night conversations turn into a fight, and all the years youve been frustrated finaly subside, and you walk away, to face the day, alone.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Do you want it to look like an interior panel finish, or a glossy painted finish? <p>Either way, you should get some SEM Plastic Prep and rub it into the panel with an abrasive sponge. Then, spray on a layer of SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter.<p>Then, once that's tacky, you can either spray on vinyl dye like SEM Color Coat for an interior panel finish.....or you can use regular spray paint for a glossy body panel finish.<p>When done, you can spray on a clear coat optional. For over SEM Color Coat, I like to use a matte finish clear coat. For over a regular spray paint, you can use a more conventional glossy clear coat.
Kapp00

Post by Kapp00 »

Goto your local car preformance shop and ask for DuPont Dye.. works the best and looks the best. lightly sand down with 2500Grid sand paper and spray with a air gun.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Check out the pics at my cardomain site, i painted mine white...the link is in my signature. First thing I did was remove all the peices I wanted to paint. Grab some sandpaper, prob. the finest you can find, and make sure everything is smooth before you paint over bumps, etc. Then get some rubbing alcohol and cotton balls or q-tips. I cleaned the whole thing to make sure there wasn't any dirt, armor all, or anything else which would be under the paint. I didn't use any primer at all. I used Satin-based spray paint. I put a few THIN coats. Take your time, make sure it's dry before you add more coats, or it will bubble up and run. I put 4-5 thin coats. While it's drying, make sure it's in a clean area so that nothing sticks to it and gets stuck in the paint. After it's all painted, I let it dry overnight, and used the sandpaper to smooth it out again. The fine-grain will not remove the paint if it's dry enough. After I was happy with how the paint looked, I added 4 coats of satin-based clear coat. I wish I put more, because it'd prob stay cleaner if I did. Same thing, wait for it to dry before you add a lot. Then finally, smooth it down one more time with sandpaper. I usually use Windex or Fantastic to keep everything clean, works pretty good. If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail. Good luck.<p>[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]</p>
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

If you look at Custommx3.com (Barry Clark's homepage) there's a very good "How to.." section that tells about this in details as well as a few other things.
I used it when painting my own interior and it came out beatifull.
As for paint I used normal interior paint in a spraycan ($10) and finished off with a clear coating (also $10).
Its easy to do though it requires a bit of patience and it a cheap mod that looks very good.
nolimits865

Post by nolimits865 »

search!!!!!!
Mazda2nr

Post by Mazda2nr »

I used KRYLON FUSION my option is it works good you don't have to sand or prime just spray it on. And nolimit dude didn't I just read your post about people saying search it. Why would you do it to other people if you don't like it being done to you?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

If you have questions, just send me a PM, thanks for giving him the info for me :)<p>[ July 07, 2003: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]</p>
saiyajin

Post by saiyajin »

First I washed every piece so that no dirt was on the surface. Now make sure its not a humid day or else dryign will be a problem. Put 2 coats of clear primer spray, so that the paint you apply will stick extra well. then get any type of spray paint from and car store, and gently do dot sprtizes on it and elt it dry and keep doing that till it looks solid. It is a pain in da *** a bit but as long as u ahve paitnece and dont rush tis cool
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I havent ever primed mine.
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I'd only prime if your interior pieces have pocks, or little dents in them. Then I'd recommend a very high build primer after scuffing up the surface a bit.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Gkreator

Post by Gkreator »

I'm going to do this soon...does the SEM and Dye paint come in spray cans? I don't want to have to buy a Sprayer just for this.
Dave Hyatt
94 Teal MX-3 RS 5 Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gkreator_inside (New Pics!)

Return to “Appearance”