screwy tach

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Acamori

screwy tach

Post by Acamori »

a while ago i put new gauge faces in my car. all of the gauges worked perfectly except for my tachometer. when i first started the car up after everything was reattached, the tach went up fine, but when it came back down it wouldn't go below 1.5 and since then it has been acting like the needle is getting hung up when the rpm's go up. i took the cluster back apart and checked to make sure the needle was free all the way around it is was. does anyone know if this could be an electrical problem (since the tach is electric not mechanical) cuz i can't think of anything else.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
Gkreator

Re: screwy tach

Post by Gkreator »

Sounds like you have a bad guage from the manufacturer. I'd take it back and get it replaced if you can or buy another one to test it.
Dave Hyatt
94 Teal MX-3 RS 5 Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gkreator_inside (New Pics!)
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

dude,,,
this is no hard problem, its just that the end of the needle gets hang on the face and thats why it wont move. I think 99% of the gauge face owners have this problem. And you can either cut the small end of the needle off or just try to sand the end that gets stuck on the face. It will work 110% :D :p
Gkreator

Post by Gkreator »

Still sounds like a manufaturer defect. If they were manufactured correctly then most people wouldn't have these problems.
Dave Hyatt
94 Teal MX-3 RS 5 Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gkreator_inside (New Pics!)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I had the same problem..I sanded lightly the back of the needle...Worked 100%..Never had a problem with it after..
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

thanks, i think i'll try sanding it sometime. i don't think mines a manufacture defect because it didn't really start until i got new gauge faces on.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
C-MX-DA3

Post by C-MX-DA3 »

what type of face gauge did you get, because i just installed my gauge from procarparts and the tach and rpm does not go back to zero, when i start the car the needle moves by itself. Does any one have this gauge in their car? i could use some help too. thanks
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

yeap, most of da people on da board bought their gauges off procarpart or some other ebay retailer. They are all the same, and i was one of the first to buy them and there has been this problem eversince. its the one that the number and lines on the gauge glows blue and red (and in some cases green too) :shrug:

Return to “Appearance”