tail lights

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Acamori

tail lights

Post by Acamori »

i'm currently trying to think of something to do to my tail lights. i don't want altezzas (clears or whatever else they're called) but i'd like to replace/modify the stock ones with something, preferably something that doesn't require reshaping my back end. <p>any seggestions/ideas/examples would be nice.
thanks
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
Spydie

Re: tail lights

Post by Spydie »

click on my link below and see what I did with mine if you like. Jeff Abrams did something pretty cool with his. I'm not sure exactly what he did but it looks like took altezzas and tinted the clear lense. Looks pretty sharp. I bought altezzas and painted them black.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
C-MX-DA3

Post by C-MX-DA3 »

yo!Darren Hyderman how did you tint the tailights. the reason im asking is i just painted my car yellow (mercedes slk yellow) W/pearl. and i think that the altezza would look good w/it but i dont like the silver or chrome inside. if you could email me the how to and the materials you use. thank. and yo! your car looks nice.
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

1: Get altezzas
2: seperate clear lense from housing using either heat gun or put in oven at 200C for a few min to soften the silicone so you can seperate. hint. if you need oven mits to remove them from oven it's too hot. As long as you can safely touch them with bare hands you don't need to worry about dammage to the lights.
3: mask off coloured lenses
4: spray paint a few coats (I used Tremclad Automotive Rust paint high gloss because it sticks great with no priming) be creative. You can use faux carbon fiber film or whatever if you like.
5: when paint is dry you remove the masking
6: you may or may not need to reapply more silicone. I didn't. I put assembly in the oven again to soften the silicone and reassembled the lenses to them.
7: reinstall on your car and enjoy the looks and compliments
8: you can call me spydie
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

This is a bit off-topic.
Darren I like your car and the tail-lights are great, but could you remove the damn spiders from the cardomain page?
They make the text somewhat hard to read :)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Yo, how did you do the headlights is my question?? Ive taken mx3 headlights apart many times so i know you can access the inside. Is that what you did?? Did you paint or use vinyl? Did you do it to the inside or outside? Thanks dude, they look sick.....
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Balhirath:

could you remove the damn spiders from the cardomain page?
They make the text somewhat hard to read :)
<hr></blockquote>
that's funny.....i always thought that too but it took someone to complain for me to get rid of it....consider it done.
As for the headlights the answer is on page 2. I'll squash the spiders so you can read it. lol
sorry gang
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Darren Hyderman:
click on my link below and see what I did with mine if you like. Jeff Abrams did something pretty cool with his. I'm not sure exactly what he did but it looks like took altezzas and tinted the clear lense. Looks pretty sharp. I bought altezzas and painted them black.<hr></blockquote><p>errrrrrrrrrr, i was the first to come up with that idea,,, :D :D
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kuruption1983:
<p>errrrrrrrrrr, i was the first to come up with that idea,,, :D :D <hr></blockquote>
I thought of it last year and just never got around to it and It's nothing that anyone with a little immagination couldn't figured out on there own......but I'm glad we think alike. :cool: <p>Jeff seems to have left the altezza housing as is but looks like he tinted the clear lense. Even more original than what we did I feel.<p>[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: Darren Hyderman ]</p>
NateDog

Post by NateDog »

im thinking of doing one of 2 things...<p>1. get a set of unasembled altezzas and take the colored parts of the jews (lack of a better word) the red and amber out and replace it w/ a clear or blue clear glass... making all clear altezzas <p>2. taking a set of the amber turnsignal altezzas and having the housings made out of tru carbon fiber.

Post by Guest »

hey i thought of painting the inside black a while back and even posted photoshoped picks of it!! but who cares, im color matching mine to my car, so when i get it repainted im going to get the insides painted to.
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sureshiit:
hey i thought of painting the inside black a while back and even posted photoshoped picks of it!! but who cares, im color matching mine to my car, so when i get it repainted im going to get the insides painted to.<hr></blockquote>
that's the right idea. I did mine black 'cause I have a black car. If you have blue, do it blue and so on.
EBUCKS

Post by EBUCKS »

Darren, why weren't you at the Ottawa RX-7, Mazda meet, so I could have seen your work of art? <p>200 C sounds about right. I used up to 150 C so far. <p>Oh and Kaveh, Darren may have thought about this before, as he's done a lot to his car before he became affiliated with the UBB. <p>one
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by EBUCKS:
Darren, why weren't you at the Ottawa RX-7, Mazda meet, so I could have seen your work of art? <p>one<hr></blockquote>
Believe me I wanted to go....but I never even took my car out of storage until the day of the meet....so I wouldn't have had time to really enjoy it. From what I was told the MX3 turnout was kinda lame anyway.

Return to “Appearance”