Spring Clamps

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
keetonFXY

Spring Clamps

Post by keetonFXY »

Was wondering if anyone has used clamps to lower their car and how well it works I have done some research and it seems like a pretty cool / cheap concept obviously you get what you pay for but im not driving on an off road safari just the 401 ( hrmm i guess parts of it are abit like that) anyways point being has anyone tried lowering a car with clamps how well does it work and what clamps did you use... thanks <p>DavenX
Jackattack

Re: Spring Clamps

Post by Jackattack »

1 word. GHETTO.
I wouldnt even drive behind you if you had spring clamps, not only are you endagering yourself but everone elso on the road.<p>STUPID STUPID STUPID...<p>save your money (and your life)and get some springs/coilovers...$300 is alot less than the thousands you would have to spend on facial reconstruction if one of those clamps flew off and hit my car! :mad:
keetonFXY

Post by keetonFXY »

no i mean you can buy specially engineered clamps for lowering your car... lemme find a site:
http://www.graystonengineering.com/suspensionpage.htm<p>[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: keetonFXY ]</p>
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

if you want to do it the cheap/wrong way, at least spend an extra $40 for some dropzone coilovers on ebay.<p>(i know i know thats what i did too. so im cheap sue me haha.)
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

i also agree, why clamp them? first of all... VERY UNSAFE!! just do it the right way and get some springs... i had a friend who clamped his Nissan 200sx he ended up damaging his suspension. just spend like $80 bucks, or hell get some cheap springs better than clamping trust me!
keetonFXY

Post by keetonFXY »

hey wow calm down.... I dont have all the cash you ppl do to spend 800 - 1200 on lowering springs and full out suspension nor do I plan to be racing full time I just want the lowered look / feel without spending a ton of cash (which btw I dont have) and I was asking if anyone has done it on the topic of safety there are people installing NOS themselves on their cars on this forum now really how safe can that be if you arent a pro technician, besides clamping your springs would only be unsafe if parts were worn or some major incident occured but I just had my springs replaced under warrenty by mazda. and my struts are new. like if anyone has a way to get these magical 80 struts put on for like 200 - 300 dollars total im all ears but to spend 1000 at eibach or whatever i just cant do that. Im a poor boi student jeez! oh and really unless you have clamped your springs or are a spring expert your opinion is biased and not factual why would they manufacture a product that is unsafe I think the T.S.S.A would close any company that did that. for you yanks: in canada the T.S.S.A. is the technical standards and safety authority so whatever your equivelent is.<p>[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: keetonFXY ]</p>
keetonFXY

Post by keetonFXY »

Hey were did you get them installed how much total?? and is that on an RS or GS <p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by marshmallow15:
if you want to do it the cheap/wrong way, at least spend an extra $40 for some dropzone coilovers on ebay.<p>(i know i know thats what i did too. so im cheap sue me haha.)<hr></blockquote>
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i tried the clamp springs myself and the car vibrates so much that they'll pop off and dent your car. trust me. and my setup i installed myself so i know what the hell im talking about.<p>oh and dont call canadians 'yanks.'
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

You want to be very careful with clamps. If you get into a car accident, and the Insurance company find out about it...they may not cover you..becasue the car is unsafe. This happened to a friend of mine who cut his springs.
keetonFXY

Post by keetonFXY »

yanks = americains : P i was never implying otherwise
but self installation thats crazy i would need a spring compressor and a whole wack o crap that i dont have. pop off and dent what? its under the wheel well if it pops off i drive over it. i smell a sport spring pusher haha. im gonna try it and hey if i dont like them i will take them off : ) I will take pics and write a nice post when im done.
as for you having done it and had them come off were the clamps rated for the weight of the car or did you just use some crappy clamps? i dunno. they sell clamps designed for this purpose why wouldnt they work and wouldnt you be able to sue the company for any damages that resulted from their product even if they did snap off? i drove my car with springs that were rusted threw for 4 months before i found out they were under warrenty. man this issue is buggin the hell outta me im not talking about buying little benmark clamps that you fasten 2 peices of wood together im talkin about a product designed to compress your springs.
haha insurance those bastards would like any excuse not to pay but cut springs are a little different and after the fact you had paid your premiums and the car did pass a safety and again the products out there have to pass a safety test or they are illegal to sell for use in street cars but anyways I will ask around<p>[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: keetonFXY ]<p>[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: keetonFXY ]</p>
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

well then answer me this.. why the hell do they sell those damn tornado things on tv when they don't work?<p>trust me ive done it. and im saving you lots of money and time here.. but if you want to waste your time and look stupid in front of your neighbors trying to install the damn clamps, go ahead. i doubt you can even install em if you really believe you can make it work. i tightened my clamps halfway and the car didn't lower a BIT.
- team slideways
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

lol.. man look, why are you getting upset of what us fellow mx-3 owners are telling you about clamping your springs?? you asked for a opinion right? and we delivered it to you. The fact is if you hit a hard bump the clamp will, (could) crack and cause your spring to pop out. believe me ive seen it happened on my friends nissan, and neon. not a pretty site. So im just letting you know for safe purposes. if you dont even have 80 bucks to spend on getting springs.... dont bother "trying" to take shortcuts, and have a crappy rice mx-3.i think by keeping it stock is better than making it to fit in like everyone else.look im sorry if i offended anyone, thats just my point of view.
DaveRous

Post by DaveRous »

Clamping your spring reduces the length in which they have to absorb a shock. The springs on your car were designed (including length, stiffness, coil size, ext.) to support your car when it is being driven. If you were to mess with even one thing on the spring (overall length) then you throw the system off. Your ride handling will suck, you will bottom out, throw out your other suspension componets, and a whole list of other things, not to mention the safety factor. Don't do it. If you are set on doing it then go on and do it, you will find out a few thousand dollars later what a mistake you made. Take the money for the clamps and throw it in a box, save up a bit more and buy at least a set of new springs (80-100 dollars on ebay), that will at least be a little better. I would suggest a cheap coilover set for you, for around 200 bucks on ebay you can get one. Do it right, man, it will save you a ton in the end.
My first import ran on rice, this one runs on style.
keetonFXY

Post by keetonFXY »

Cool well I still think that theoretically it is possible because your not cutting the spring but compressing it but hey I will look around on ebay I found a mechanic that will install them pretty cheap and align after so : P we shall see... but i also found a good paint shop that will paint for cash and do it pretty cheap I saw an RX-7 at the mazxda dealership were i just got a part time job in parts.. and he gave me a card for a paint shop his car looked pretty sick 92 Rx-7 lowered and damn it looked sweet.
DaveRous

Post by DaveRous »

Yeah it is possible, it will just ride like crap and throw off everything else. But it will look better ;)
My first import ran on rice, this one runs on style.

Return to “Appearance”