Maaco

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
UoMDeacon

Maaco

Post by UoMDeacon »

I got a quote of $300 including tax to get my entire car repainted by Maaco. This is to deal with the fading paint on my roof and hood. The $300 would cover the value prep along with the presidential paint (thingy). So basically they would go in with the rotating sander, then prime, and then paint it. What do you guys think?<p>This is the Maaco in Farmington, MI. Any complaints or comments about this place?
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Re: Maaco

Post by neverenuff »

MAACO is cheap! you get what you pay for. Yea thats all they do prep and prim lastly paint. They do not tape up the car right so when you get your car back you have paint on things like your headlight, muffler, trimings, tires ex. They also do not wet sand and buff after done painting. So you get things like runs,orange peal,dust,fish eyes ex. finaly you dont get that glossy, look right through the paint awsom finish. So in my oppinion spend the extra cash and do it right.
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

i agree with never. You get what you pay for. They do cheap paint job. You may have to get your car repainted in a couple year again if you go through them. Send the extra money and get a good paint job from a good company.
Dephekt

Post by Dephekt »

Yeah, you do get what you pay for at Maaco. BUT....they can also do some decent jobs if you pay upwards in the 700-$1000 range. I got quoted $456 and thats to repaint the car silver. Sand down the peeling arears, prime, paint, then gloss. The lady insisted I have a gloss coat with the silver, since its a metallic color and the gloss would bring it out better. Maaco isnt bad, but you do get what you pay for. Like I said, you can get a nice paintjob from them for about $700, it wouldnt be "Show Quality" or anything like that, but it'll be hot.<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Dephekt ]</p>
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you mean it wouldnt be show quality matt, like ive told him a 1000s times Why go macoo at all? if you did all the priming and taping up then took it to them then yea maybe, but still think about it matt you said between 700-1000 they do a good job? well anyshop will do a great job for that price, definetly not primium quality, but pritty nice. And another thing lets say you paint the car a diffrent color, or even still the same color they dont do you engine bay, so now you have a 2 tone colored car, and if you do get it the same color, well now you still have a 2 tone color car, both similar shades but definetly noticable from new to old . but ive said my opinions on them, do the right thing and do it right the 1st time so you dont have to spend 100s of dollers later on<p>perhaps there slogan should be BETTER MAKE IT UH OH<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Mnemonic ]</p>
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Dephekt

Post by Dephekt »

Grrrrr to you Brian. :p
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

he he he<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Mnemonic ]</p>
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

spend the extra cash!! you will thank us later.
MysteryMachine

Post by MysteryMachine »

so what do u guys say a show quality paint job(change of color) would cost on average? Cuz I'm thinking about getting it done soon.
94' Blaze Red MX-3- Just startin' out, but soon tah be da killer thriller. Rims, carbon fiber dash, neons, altezzas, start of a killer sound system. Body kit on after winter.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

depending on who does it id say any were betwwn 15-23k and thats enging bay and all it even may be a bit more id say call around.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

What that is crazy. Not 15-23 thousand, maybe more like $1500 - $2300. I think you forgot a decimal point. LOL
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

any shop can do a good job for 1000$? lol....I spent 2200$ and just got a check back for 1700$. they f-ed up royaly and my car looks like garbage up close. You get what you pay for and sometimes not even that. Ask to see cars they have done and what they have in the shop to show you etc..
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Maaco is where people bring stolen cars to get them a new look, not to make their car into a show-car :shrug: <p>I heard nothing but bad stories about them
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Aaah yes maaco. Here's there problem, why would you want a rotational sander being used to prep your car?? Your cars end appearance after paint is all gonna be based off of your prep work. They also use electric sanders on bondo, wtf?? I've seen them use soft blocks for it too, why oh why!?! Don't take it to maaco, I've gotten a quote for a paint job that is show quality at $1300. Find a good body shop in your area that is interested in the import scene and you'll be closer to what you want. By the way, from friends personal testimony, a huuuge maple leaf was painted into a friends car, it was visible through the paint, my friend ruebens paint washed off when he washed it a few weeks after the paint job, and this also happened to a family friend in cali. A lot of the time, they don't even do prep work, its just painted over the old paint, crap.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
jordanmx3

Post by jordanmx3 »

alright here it goes,your right you get what you pay for(hint you get what you pay for).don't expect to have a baddass paint job and only wanna spend 300 bucks.i work for the best damn macco shop ever,and we use air compressed sanders we ain't cheap.and we use dupont paint last time i checked that's good ****.we paint graffics on hoods,bikes,what ever you want.the owner is young,everybody in the shop drives hooked up imports and muscle cars.and the pepole who want good *** paint jobs and pay good money get the phat ****.we do wet sand and buff ifyou pay the money,right now we got 3 69 camaros,one bad *** chevelle,supra twin turbo,and a 93 rx7 with a bomex kit on it. as far as color changing its your money you pay cheap you get cheap,we do mask the engine bay and do all the jambs if you pay good "money".i chaned my green into the protege 5
yellow with gold pearl that **** is phat *** hell.and all my jambs are done.so you pay good you get good.it doesn't get any clearer then that

Return to “Appearance”