HID Kits

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Taras

Re: HID Kits

Post by Taras »

PLEASE READ:
Dear people, this discussion is going off hand. Please do not falme Aiden as he does know what he is talking about.<p>HID kit or whatever in out DOT standard North American headlights is an absolutely worst possible option that you could do. Few reasons: DOT has mandated US-spec headlights to light up overhead signs on the highway. That means that there is light that bleeds off above the cut off line (low beams)(9004 hardly has any cut-off line). This means glare. E-spec or J-spec have a very sharp cut off on the other hand.<p>So place HID capsule in your DOT headlights and you get three times the glare. Well, you may say: But I can see so well! (See lower). Sure, you can, but so can drivers in the oncoming lane. Do you like being blinded? Beides the legality of the retrofit, you piss everyone else on the road, and it is because of bad HID users like this that the rest of the population hates HID and begs NHTSA to ban them, even in OEM cars.<p>The question of being able to see so well is questionable. Here is why. MX-3 US-spec lights are a bad design. Not that Koito designed them bad, but simply because they are 9004 bulb requirement. 9004, transverse filament bulb with 700 lm output in low beam. Who can see with theirs (no matter the bulb brand - the bluer the worse)in the dark in the rain? NO too many. Ok, 9004 transverse, HID longitudal. Can't have filament positioned differently in the housing that is designed otherwise. Now, HID glow area is fatter than tungsten filament (very straight and squarish). Again different housing designed for a precise filament area, not fat three times brighter glow.<p>So, what do you 9004 to HID converted users end up with. Your lights sure will be bright, blinding everyone in their way. The beam pattern will be horrible (compare to OEM HID against a white wall) with a definite hot-spot (means not distributed well).<p>What that hot-spot will do to you in the dark is as follows. Your eyes will focus on it, because it is brighter, and you will miss anything that is not in the hotspot (deer about to jump from the bushes) at high speed. Also that hot-spot (way brighter that any OEM HID lights will procuce) besided being way over legal brightness allowed for OEM HID will reflect back to your eyes in the rain. So, you will blind yourself. Go ahead. <p>Also, with so much glare from your 9004 HID lights you probably had to adjust your lights low and to the right. Well, that means too much foreground lighting. Sucks at high speed. Poor you and that deer that you will not see, even with three times brightness. Duh? Remember the eyes will focus on what they can see better, that is in front of you nose, and not far down the road. <p>The issue of not requiring hi-beams should be obvious by now. Your lights lack a cut-off, so they are your hi-beams with HID in there, just three times brighter. Why do Mercedes and BMW and Audi (list goes on) that come factory with HID have a Halogen Hi-beam? Well, beacuse they need it. Hi-beam provides down the road lighting, kinda essential when you go very fast. Fact: OEM cars fitted with bi-xenon (ML 55, A6 2002+, Porsche Turbo, E46 and 7 series)also have Halogen hi-beam. Same issue - down the road lighting. HID even with Bi-xenon option are still too wide to have far reach. Summary: HID - wide with a definite sharp cut off. Hi-beams - narrow beam that reaches far.<p>7000K, great. Do you think it is bright? "K" is for Kelvin, as in temperature of the colour. Lm is lumens or Cd, candela for brightness or light output. Just so you know OEM HID bulbs are 4100 to 4300 K colour temperature. 25000K is ultraviolet. The higher you go the bluer it will get. Bluer is better? Read here:<p>H7 Bulb comparo<p>H1 Bulb comparo<p>Blue Bulb Write-up<p>Oh, the answer to the quest for both low and hi-beam HID is this: Hella and Bosch both make HID projectors for OEM cars.<p>NOw,
If you took time to read the above. Thank you, and please do not buy those cheap kits with Korean made bulbs. Good luck buying a replacement. The bulbs will not last forever. Philips or Osram genuine bulbs usually get replaced after 2000 hours because they loose their intensity and become bluer. Korean cheap bulbs, who knows. If they do not blow up, they may fail. If they do blow up, you will need a new housing.<p>PLEASE HANDLE HID WITH CARE, ESPECIALLY AT START UP.<p>ps: the opinions represented above are just that. They are not meant to be relied and are not necessarily correct. They are just a collection of thoughts gathered from learning a lot from other knowledgeable people.<p>pss: Yes, I have seen Mx-3 with HID in stock headlights myself. Yes, they suck....
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

Taras, I applaud you in your research of HID's. This is why I like this forum. We get a variety of opinions and information in different angles. What I wrote before about this topic, it's all experience from my point of view. I never claim to be an expert in anything. <p>As far as 7000K, I know it's Kelvin. At the time I wrote about it, I didn't recall the name. Instead I mentioned the color not brightness. "I would recommend going with 7000k or higher for color output. " I happen to like the bluish output it produces, that is why I recommend it. I receive compliments all the time with my HID's on, from passengers in my car to strangers out in the street. <p>No matter what, I like my HID's. Some people may hate them. If we all had the same taste we would be driving the exact same car. <p>later,
deeImage
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

With lighting output at 7000K there's also gonna be more issues with diffraction since blue has the shortest wavelength, high school physics will tell us short wavelength diffracts the most. That's why fog lights and French (used to anyways, until they realized Cadium used in their yellow bulbs are cancerous) have really yellow output.<p>And then you're going to have issues with Color Rendering Index (CRI is probably the term you see more often on write-ups etc) and eyes-fatigue.<p>IMO anything beyond 4500k touches on appearance and not lighting upgrade....but then we all have different preferences and drive in different conditions so now that's it bug me or anything.<p>Cheers!<p>Eugene
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

so much drama, i thought about getting HID i was the one that did the post a few weeks back but after seeing how bright djpros were i decided i didnt need to go so bright and went with HID fog lights instead, these lights are great!
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

Hey Mnemonic, any pics. on those. I think it's a good choice.<p>later,
deeImage
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
Taras

Post by Taras »

DJPro, <p>I shall not write any more, just will mention that it is possible to have pure white light on the ground (as seen by you) as in 4100K and blue look to oncoming traffic (if that is what you think is cool). Most OEM lights produce white light, but look bluish to you in the opposite lane. Well, that could be enhanced even more without loosing your brightness and colour. I'll let you research that one.<p>Mnemonic, do you really need to see the fog better?<p>Cheers.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackattack:
AIDEN...WHEN DID YOU BECOME THE LIGHTING GOD????
honestly dude you have no idea wtf you are talking about, I t really bothers me when people come on this board and give utterly useless, opinionated, WRONG answers and comments when it is absolutly un-necsisary.<p>do you have HID'S?
Have you tried every lighting option available?<p>Didnt think so.......<p>ever heard the saying "if you have nothing intelligent to say, dont say anything at all"????<p>I think it applies.<p>have fun.<p>Jack :shrug:
<hr></blockquote><p>SHUT THE **** UP ********!!!<p>Now with that said, go home and suck your mom's tit some more, loser.<p>I DO know what the **** I am talking about ****head and I have tried MANY MANY lighting options already, as well as designing new ones. Along with that, I converse with automotive lighting experts almost every day about lighting design and pit-falls of past designs and so forth.<p>So, you know what, I hate it too when someone comes on here and knows NOTHING about something and talks BULL****.....LIKE YOU!!!<p>Everything I said WAS true. So read up some **** before you try and knock me down on this stuff.<p>I may not know everything about motors, and suspension just yet, but I DO know electronics, and LIGHTING.<p>**** YOU MOTHER ****ER!!!<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

To Jackattack and blikmik:<p>**** YOU!<p>I know what the hell I am talking, just like Taras said. Not only do I converse with Taras every now and then about headlight design, but I also converse with other well experienced and knowledgable people about the same stuff too almost every day.<p>I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!<p>If you think Taras and I are wrong, prove us wrong.<p>All you're going to get is a swift kick in the *** from the stupid police.<p>Geez, maybe YOU TWO should stop posting BS when you know NOTHING about a topic.<p>****ing hell.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Special Agent Medican Man

Post by Special Agent Medican Man »

ok.... I know that u might have got your answer but I might be able to opionate a little more on top of the Up most posts. I went form the stock headlights to a pair of Japaneese blue lights that were worse then the stock ones. so I put the stock ones back in for 3 days and then bought a pair of sylvania Silver Star Halogen bulbs they are awsome... only $30 dollars for the set (model 9004 ST/2 ) there good because they go up to 4000 degrese K un like the stock that go up to 2800 degrese kelvin. Which makes the differance in the brightness. I was content with these for about 2 months then I found out that *STREET GLOW* makes a HID conversion... Not the easiest to mount but it wasnt that bad either.. I used ones for a Miata. They are such an improvement from Halogen with the brigths on that anyone that contests that can come and drive my car. I live on the coast where there is twisty roads, and all I use is bright Lights. They are expensive mine where $550 USD, but for my situation they were worth every penny. A lot of other companys make them and as you will find out in life, there are the companys that make it right, and then there are CHEEP IMATATIONS! Dont be fulled by these, they make us as consumers and opionators Biast, allowing down talk on the quality products that are out there. I would say to you or anyone that lives in the city that they may look cool, but if you want something to improve from your Factory bulbs get the Sylnania bulbs described above and not the HID's! They are cheep and will work Way better. Also your Headlight casing probably needs to be cleaned I clean mine every time I wash my car. FLUX makes a great product, it is a Plexiglass and plastic polish perfect for the out side lense. Any polish of this sort will do wonders for the output of your light bulbs. Besure to do this before you wish your car down so the residue will be rinced away. Now that I have BRIGHTENED the situation up a little I hope you all stay well LIT. ;)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DJPRO:
Hey Mnemonic, any pics. on those. I think it's a good choice.<p>later,
deeImage
<hr></blockquote><p>Nah not yet ill try to take some pictures tonight of them
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “Appearance”