Molding Q's?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
fabius_l

Molding Q's?

Post by fabius_l »

What's the best material to use to make a mold? I was gonna use a mix of wire mesh and wood to make up the mold and then fiberglass over it to get the mold to the shape I want. Anybody got any other suggestions?
'92 MX3 1.8 V6
G-MAX 40mm lowering springs
'91 AZ3 1.5 35mm drop +V6 stryt brace.
Tyler17rose

Re: Molding Q's?

Post by Tyler17rose »

I also would like to know what the best method to mold or even use fiberglass is. If anyone knows of any good sites plz post them!
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Maybe this will help, it mostly talks about custom fiberglass enclosures. I use his method to mold my bodykit, anyways it's a good place to start.<p>custom enclosure
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

if you are talking about a custom sub-enclosure... the best way would be to make a frame out of very thin wood, then stretch fleece very tightly around the frame and staple it. <p>Then you coat it in fiberglass resin, sand, and paint! :p <p>As for custom bumpers and stuff... wire wouldnt be a good idea because fiberglass resin is a liquid.... and it would seep through mesh.
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3

Return to “Appearance”