CarbonFiber MP5 Bumper?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
eviltwinkie

CarbonFiber MP5 Bumper?

Post by eviltwinkie »

Does anyone know if I could get the protoge5 front bumper made in carbon fiber as opposed to fiberglass? I would be willing to pay for the extra work and the more expensive materials. Let me know the approx costs.<P>Thanks
You did what to what?!?!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: CarbonFiber MP5 Bumper?

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eviltwinkie:<BR><STRONG>Does anyone know if I could get the protoge5 front bumper made in carbon fiber as opposed to fiberglass? I would be willing to pay for the extra work and the more expensive materials. Let me know the approx costs.<P>Thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Well I'm sure that the price would be way over 1000 CAN due to the fact that the CF hood they were looking to make was about that. There is soo much involved in making a cf bumper. Especially when you have to make it look good. Unless youre gonna paint it of course. :)
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

CAN YOU FEEL THE CF FEVER!!! :roll:
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
fictionaldaydream

Post by fictionaldaydream »

It feels like an episode of Hi-Rev Tuners :D
onderground

Post by onderground »

Its pretty impossible to make a bumper in CF.... we can do it but it will look like ****!<P>All the layers cannot match toghether because there is round parts and corner in the bumper....<P>Ill ask the shop!
eviltwinkie

Post by eviltwinkie »

Well I am not after looks here, since it will be painted over. I am just trying to reduce as much wieght as I can from the front half of the car. I gutted most of the rear and it is now pretty unstable. I have relocated the battery and done as much as I can to either xfer or remove any thing I can from the front to bring the car back into 60/40. Anywho, carbon fiber fever my butt, short of driving without a bumper, saving 10-30 pounds maybe sounds worthwhile...my 2 cents
You did what to what?!?!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you need to keep weight over the front wheels, or you will have extremely bad traction issues.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
onderground

Post by onderground »

A bumper from fiberglass to carbon fiber....you may save approx 1 or 2 pound... maximum!<p>A fiberglass bumper itself weight 5-6 pound....So it wont reduce that much!<p>but cost the twice... even more!
eviltwinkie

Post by eviltwinkie »

hmm 1 pound? yeah that does not seem worth it, I was figurin that it would at least be 10lbs. As far as keeping weight over the wheels, I am well aware of where the wieght needs to be, but when you gut out the mx-3 you end up with a problem. it goes from 60/40 to 70/30 (rough guesstimate). Ask anyone who has gutted one out, taking ANY turn over 40mph and your rear will go flying out. I even use 245/35R17's when I go to the track and due to the huge difference in where the weight is cornering is crappy and that where it hurts the most, whats the use of going really fast in a straight line if I cant corner? I'm not a big 1/4mi fan. Real racing has turns, thats where the skill is in my opinion. 1/4mi racing is too easy, you do it enough times that you get good at it. Any monkey can do that ;)
You did what to what?!?!
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

why not get coilovers and raise or lower the car in the front and rear till u get a 50/50 weight :shrug:
i don't know anything about autox
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project

Return to “Appearance”