first time polishing(valve cover)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Chris Wilson

first time polishing(valve cover)

Post by Chris Wilson »

let me know what you think<BR> <A HREF="http://miata.cardomain.com/member_pages ... 638&page=8" TARGET=_blank>http://miata.cardomain.com/member_pages ... &page=8</A> <P>I have a little more to finish up but not much
LiL-LaW

Re: first time polishing(valve cover)

Post by LiL-LaW »

Hey man that looks really good, I am sure it gives your engine a much cleaner look :)<BR>I like it
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

wow man. nice job. can ya list the steps or product that you used?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

its a long process I will try to find the site that I got most of the info from
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

That looks awesome man. Way to go.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Nice job. I used the same polish on my VC. I stripped the paint, sanded with a fine steel wool, and then polished with Mothers metal polish. I did all mine by hand....I need to pull it off and hit it with the buffing wheel (on a grinder).
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

I just used a buffer that goes on a drill that you can buy at home depot I think it was $5.00
HRO

Post by HRO »

I read on a site last year to start at 400 grit wet sand paper and moving to 2000 grit wet sand paper, and I started this process and it takes hours and hours by hand.<BR>I think i'm going to take your approach now, looks like it is much easier.<BR>thanks for the post!<p>[ November 28, 2002: Message edited by: mx3vs ]
My Cardomain Site<p>Image<p> FBSS Air suspension, 12 gallon tank, viair 450 comp
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

I started at 150 grit and worked my way to 2000 grit I did all the sanding by hand it takes forever but it is worth it <P>the first few sandings are the most important you need to make sure that you get rid of all the black dots and then you can move up to 220 grit get all the sanding marks from the 150 grit paper and just keep doing this till you get the valve cover compleatly scratch free then use the buffer and polish
HRO

Post by HRO »

Ok, so i'm on the right track now then.<BR>I thought you used the buffer alone with nothing else. Figured it would save me lots of time,<BR>but I guess it's really worth it in the end to spend the time.<P>thanks
My Cardomain Site<p>Image<p> FBSS Air suspension, 12 gallon tank, viair 450 comp
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

if you sand with a power sander you could gouge the valve cover.. the best way is to do it by hand you get the best shine that way
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

looks awesome!
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

There is not really any way around it (besides maybe sandblasting).....it is going to take you several hours to get it to look right. My valve cover took me 6 hours (start to finish) doing it by hand. It is not exactly as shiny as I want it, but I will take it off sometime and finish the process. I still have to finish my radiator also. Most radiators are actually brass under the black paint....they look awesome when polished.
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

it took me almost a full day to polish mine. but it was worth it.. the only thing I can say to the people who want to do it is take your time and don't skip any sanding steps. you will be very happy with the final product
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Nice job man, reminds me of painting my car, I spent forever sanding the thing down, in primer she was as smooth as a wet dolphin. :p I like your cars too, both look killer.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."

Return to “Appearance”