Body Kit Grill Inserts...

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Stevie D

Body Kit Grill Inserts...

Post by Stevie D »

I have the FX Design Combat kit and it has black grills in it as of now. I have taken my car off the road for the winter and plant to work on it. One thing I would like to change is my grills. I no longer want black. I want something that stands out better like silver. I am having a hard time finding cheap grills and my question is once i have found the grill i want what do you recomend using to attach it to the kit. What I used last time was kinda messy and it was rather difficult. Now that the kit is on the car its going to be twice as hard so I was looking for a easy answer. Thanks for your time.
EBUCKS

Re: Body Kit Grill Inserts...

Post by EBUCKS »

Personally, I think that you have to take the kit off, to apply the mesh. Hell it ain't that hard. Four bolts. Six if you have the bumper still on. Use bondo or body filler to secure little pieces of wire all around the opening of the area, you want covered. Let dry. That could take a day. Wrap the grill around the area that you want to cover and secure with the wire. Make sure that your wire is a decent size gauge. <BR>By the way, what colour is your car? That makes all the diff, in the colour of your mesh. Personally, I'm getting tired of the silver. Coloured is the way to go, but it depends on the colour scheme of your car. Hope that helps big dog. :) <P>one
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I have used several different things to keep the mesh on my grille. I thought about using Bondo for that, but I know that Bondo will crack with vibrations or if you were to bump a curb...so I stayed away from that. I used a combination of Mastic and adhesive epoxy. I have also used caulk on another car. The Mastic (if you are not sure what it is) is what they use to make ceramic tiles (like tile floors or in the bathroom) stick to the wall/floor. This stuff is thick so that you can spread it without it dripping or sagging like bondo and it dries super hard. I also used the adhesive epoxy as the first layer to help give it some damping properties. The other car that I used caulking only. Both methods seem to be doing fine, but it has been less than a year, so there is no telling what the future holds in store.
bentkarnes

Post by bentkarnes »

hey, i jsut got the fx fornt bumper and they sent me some silver mesh, which is thin as hell, but looks ok when you put it in he right way, anyway... i only put in the large front peice and screwed it in with 2 screws at the top and just bent the sides and bottom around the edges, its a quick installation till winters over, then ill go to a body shop and get them to install some plastic mesh because flies will get caught in ther epretty easy and a pressure washer will blow that mesh right off, anyway the mesh has some lee-way installing like that and it looks great and wont fall off, its not ment to last forever tho, plus i had to paint the rebar after install the bumper because its that ugly plastic white, anyone else have to do that? plus the rebar kinda rubs the mesh, ill post pictures next week
saskatchewan sucks
mx34u2nve

Post by mx34u2nve »

GUTTER GAURD!!!!!!!!!!! go to canadian tire and get some mesh stuff called "gutter gaurd" its like 10 bucks and comes in a few designs and colours and looks exzact like mesh grill. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Turbo 2.5l mx3
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

yeah, i went to the home depot and got a piece about4 feet in length and about a 1 1/2 wide of gutter gaurd for 5 bucks cdn, and it looks awsome, looks the same as the other for $5<P> lates
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
littleindianboy

Post by littleindianboy »

Just fiberglass it on. After you get the kit off, it should only take you about 30min's to an hour. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get Fiberglass resin and cloth. Cut the cloth into strips, mix the resin and MEKP in a disposable plastic container, dip the cloth in, and then lay it wherever it needs it. It should cure in about 30min's or less, and it's solid, won't come off unless you cut it off with a pneumatic saw. You should spend a total of about $25 on the glass.
Becker

Post by Becker »

Just use some black tie wraps....tie wrap the new mesh to the old one, and it shouldnt be to noticable......in case u havent noticed i'm very lazy dont bash my idea because i would prob do this lol :D
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect

Return to “Appearance”