molding kit to car

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)

molding kit to car

Post by Guest »

ok heres a question, ive got a body kit and when i get it painted in the spring i want it molded to my car so theres no seams, what exactly does that entale? will it cost alot more? whats the proper way of doing it? FYI i have pakfeifer sides and rear apron and the new protege bumper on order.
Paragon

Re: molding kit to car

Post by Paragon »

if you live in an area where temperatures have a wide range, don't mold it...the bondo will crack.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

oh and also, if you drive around places with hills and bumps a lot, dont mold it to the body. if you drive over a bump and have the sideskirt hit it or the front bumper, itll flex and thus resulting in the molded bondo to crack right off.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike

Post by Guest »

ya both those would be cases for me, thanks for the info man, i guess molding is out of the question.
bigburt

Post by bigburt »

molding a kit is ok if it is only the side skirts.do not mold the front or back bumper
HRO

Post by HRO »

A friend of mine molded all the seams on his civic except the doors, hatch, hood, and an hour after he picked it up from the shop all the seams were cracked, it looked like garbage!!
My Cardomain Site<p>Image<p> FBSS Air suspension, 12 gallon tank, viair 450 comp
codene

Post by codene »

they have a special moling glue now. somewhat like the fiberglass resin. they are not using bondo to mold anymore cuz it does crack way to easily. this stuff is the consistency of fiberglass resin but i would compare the makeup to that of a flexible epoxy. it will stretch (to a certain extent) and not crack leaving your car look like a beauty. it comes in a can that resembles caulk and you have to have a gun to use.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>
Q187

Post by Q187 »

My friend has a 94 Supra. His body kit is molded on and it looks seamless. Looks like the kit came with the car.
xxxxxroninxxxxx

Post by xxxxxroninxxxxx »

ok molding is very bad, unless you have a total show car that you are only gonna drive on and off a trailer, as for the guy who said it ok if your molding the side skirts, dont listen to him, he doesn't have a clue, that is the worst possible area to mold in any car, body guys call that whole area the torque box because of all the movement that occurs while driving, the only thing i would probably ever mold on a car that was driven is maybe something on the hood,or maybe the wing to the hatch, but im a body guy and my car has a lot of bodywork in it, and trust me if your gonna drive it a lot and you mold it, remember all the first names of the guys at the bodyshop your going to cause your gonna be seeing at least once a year.good luck man
<A HREF="http://www.RONINMOTORSPORTS.com" TARGET=_blank>www.RONINMOTORSPORTS.com</A>
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

If you have enough money.....anything is possible!
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit

Return to “Appearance”