Removing Dash and Shifter Knop Replacement

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
evilMarc

Removing Dash and Shifter Knop Replacement

Post by evilMarc »

I just got my first car 1994 MX-3, I love it and want to make it look even better. <P>One thing I want to do is put in indiglo gauges and paint the dash, I've been able to find sites on how to do everything but safely remove the panel. <P>I'd also like to replace my shifter knob from the stock one but it seems like the replacements don't have a way to keep the boot up an prevent it from just bunching on the bottom. I feel like I'm missing something simple here.<P><B>Thanks in advance for any help</B>
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Removing Dash and Shifter Knop Replacement

Post by monty73741 »

here is the deal on removal<BR>its in the guide on the site.<BR>plus superstreet has a good article on painting......<BR>the boot.....better to make you own because if you get a short shifter then u need a smaller one.....<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
back alley

Post by back alley »

has anyone taken the boot off completely? i'm wondering what the shifter would look like without it. it seems the shifter is cuved but is it attractive enuf to run without the boot?
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

welcome to the board. to take the boot off completely wouldn't look right, the boot is stapled onto the panel, and then you'd see the nasty looking shifter ball underneath. i took cjthor's advice, and modified the stock boot....if you want, i can send you a pic of what he did.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paragon:<BR><STRONG>welcome to the board. to take the boot off completely wouldn't look right, the boot is stapled onto the panel, and then you'd see the nasty looking shifter ball underneath. i took cjthor's advice, and modified the stock boot....if you want, i can send you a pic of what he did.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Definately an easy mod and looks great. Pics are available.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

I just bought a Momo knob and Momo boot and placing them was pretty simple. When I removed part of the console, I noticed that the original boot had little cuts on the bottom so to fit on the little plastic edges and that my new boot had an elastic. Not compatible. So what I did, I cut holes in all corners of the boot. Those holes would then be placed around the screws holding the plastic adapter thing. Then all you have to do is put the screws back on and your all set!
back alley

Post by back alley »

pics would be nice, thanks!
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by back alley:<BR><STRONG>pics would be nice, thanks!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Since I got a short shifter with the new boot, its a huge hassel for me to take<BR>the console out again because the new shifter sits to damn tight to the console and I risk scratching(again!) the upper portion of the console. Sorry! If ever I do need to go check in there, ill post some pics!

Return to “Appearance”