Installing Custom Pedals (Group buy)?...

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Shades

Installing Custom Pedals (Group buy)?...

Post by Shades »

Well I got my pedals today. Not quite what I expected but still unique and kewl. I installed the clutch and brake pedal... wow I should not drill for oil. Lets just say precision in the drilling area is not my strong point... had to drill bigger holes cause the holes were off centre the pedals hole.<P>So, just wondering has anyone installed their gas and/or foot rest pedals? How did you go about installing them? I sorta looked at the gas pedal and there is a rubber peice on top of the metal... I couldn't get it off. So I quit for the day.<P>Driving around I spent most the time looking at the pedals instead of the road...
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
sheller

Re: Installing Custom Pedals (Group buy)?...

Post by sheller »

The screws for the foot rest I was able to drill right in on their own (somewhat self-tapping). On the gas pedal, leave the rubber/plastic on and drill through that and the metal. I used the size of bit the directions said (1/8" I think) but if I had it to do over, I'd use 1 size smaller. Be warned though the these screws are not very good. I had one that started to strip out when I was installing it and another that literally snapped in half. I was using a 9.6 volt cordless drill so it isn't as if they were getting way too much torque either. <BR>I actually had the biggest problem on the gas pedal which of course was the last one I put on. I centered the pedal and made a mark for one hole. I drilled it out and attached the pedal. I was then able to accurately drill pilot holes for the other 3 mounting points. Unfortunately, the bar that comes down and is welded across the back of pedal is not centered. So, the metal in the lower right corner was much thicker due to the weld material. Even after drilling it out, I found that I couldn't get the nut into position due to the bar itself. The only was I see around this without really weakening the pedal, it to shift it off center to the right. I hope this helps.<BR>Steve
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I removed the plastic cover on the gas pedal before instalation, the screws would probably grip better if it's on though.<BR>Russ was under the impression that the gas pedal was completely plastic. It would be a good idea to pick up some bolts and nylon locknuts similar to the ones used on the brake and clutch.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i purchased the pedals on the first groups buy...<BR>i installed the pedal rest and also hit it with some silicone....<P>i had an idea if you trace the pedals on paper cut them out then tape them down....you will be able to find your drill points...easier....<P><BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com

Return to “Appearance”