Body questions

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
mx32b

Body questions

Post by mx32b »

I was looking at a car tonite, I'm interested in it but I'm concerned about a couple things. First, it's a 92 mx3 with 155k km on it, it was painted 2 years ago and has since developed some minor surface rust comming from the seals on top of the car (around windows, sunroof, etc.) It looks like the rust is from under the seal and is bleeding out, it's fairly minor but there is enough to be concerned about. What would it cost to repair something like this?<P>Second, theres a strange cut on the drivers side door. Its very hard to describe, its a clean cut, not done with keys, and it goes right through the sheet metal. It was fixed with some touch up paint to prevent rust, but theres still a cut about the length of your pinky finger that water could definately get in. Should I be concerned about rust inside the door, electrical problems with the windows, etc, or would any water that did get in just drain out the bottom somehow? And again, what does the body work that would be necessary to fix this cost?<P>Finally, not a body question, but theres a ticking under the hood, and I'm 99% sure it's the timing belt (as it has been on every other mx-3 I've looked at). Anyway, approx. what does it cost to replace a timing belt on these cars?
Hy300

Re: Body questions

Post by Hy300 »

DON'T BUY IT!!
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Sounds like its been sitting in a junkyard for a while and whoever has it just got it reconditioned a bit. If its been in a junkyard its an Rebuilt title, which will cost you a lot on insurance and inspection. On top of that you don't know what's wrong with the engine. A ticking can be a lot of things.<P>I'd write down the VIN number or get a rubbing and go to your local Title and Tags place and have them run it through their national database. In a week you'll have an idea of what you may be dealing with and it should cost you under $20. And if you're considering buying a car $20 of prevention can save you thousands
nicolasbeique

Post by nicolasbeique »

The thicking is what happens to almost all v6 when the cam seal wears down. Does nothing to performance just anoying. Look in other post for "Cam Friction Gear Noise" or something like that.<P>I'm not the expert once it comes to rust but I would look at places like suspension, engine, and all the stuff under the hood and the frame because that's where the rust kills the car. DAM RUST!<P>Good Luck
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>
mx32b

Post by mx32b »

He took the car to his mechanic who agreed that it was probably the timing belt, and is having it changed. Carfax came up clean on the vehicle, it hasnt been written off or spent any time in a junkyard, it's used mainly to get to work and back every day. He has all the records showing the car has been taken care of.<P>My biggest concern is the minor body rust around the seals. I looked at the engine, suspension, chasis etc. and theres no serious rust, just the minor surface rust in certain places underneath that can be expected in a car 10 years old (my moms 98 Caravan looks the same underneath so I assume this is normal). Anyway, the only serious problem that I can see without an inspection is this rust. How do I go about checking under the seals to see whats going on and how serious the problem really is?

Return to “Appearance”