Painting brake calibers

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
canadian_ice

Painting brake calibers

Post by canadian_ice »

I think that's what they're called...on the front, the black pieces on the top just behind the wheels.<P>Does anyone have any instructions for painting these? Im buying brake caliber paint from canadian tire next week. Should I take the entire tire off to do this? How many coats?<P>Does anyone have any pics of this done?<P>I'm going with blue paint, too.<p>[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: canadian_ice ]
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Painting brake calibers

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

brake calipers are what hold your brake pads to the rotor. If thats what you're talking about then brake caliper paint is what you need. When you say behind the wheel... it makes me think you mean the mud guards, which are black as well. I guess it just depends on how you look at it [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

hey check out my website for pics and instructions!<P> |<BR> |<BR>\ | /<BR> \|/<BR> V
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Sonic - When I say behind the wheel, I mean from a side-view kinda perspective...so behind means inside (know what I mean?) <P>Brainless - thanks! I'll check.
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Brainless - What brand of paint did you use? I'm making a trip to Canadian Tire next week :D<P>Do you have any updated pics of your car, with the drums painted? I'd really like to see how it turned out!<P>Thanks again.<p>[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: canadian_ice ]
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadian_ice:<BR><STRONG>Brainless - What brand of paint did you use? I'm making a trip to Canadian Tire next week :D<P>Do you have any updated pics of your car, with the drums painted? I'd really like to see how it turned out!<P>Thanks again.<P>[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: canadian_ice ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I used Plati-Kote brake caliper paint (I got it at some local car show). The color is not as bright as I wish but it turned nice anyway. Take a second look at my current mods section in my website, there are 2 pics of the painting done. Click on the word caliper or drum.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

Don't get crappy tire brand! there is a company called folia tec that makes brake caliper/ drum paint kits. $50Can max. at your local performance shop. That's what I used and it works great! The kit comes with caliper/drum cleaner-prep, paint, and a clear coat/hardener that you mix with the paint. That way when they get dirty from brake dust it wipes right off with a rag. :D Happy painting.
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZDASPEED STEVE:<BR><STRONG>Don't get crappy tire brand! there is a company called folia tec that makes brake caliper/ drum paint kits. $50Can max. at your local performance shop. That's what I used and it works great! The kit comes with caliper/drum cleaner-prep, paint, and a clear coat/hardener that you mix with the paint. That way when they get dirty from brake dust it wipes right off with a rag. :D Happy painting.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why pay 50$ when you can pay 10$ for simple high heat resistance paint. The worst thing that could happen would be to do an additionnal coat per year.<P>And by the way, the thinner are the coats, the more you'll have to do but the better will be the results.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
MAZDASPEED STEVE

The difference is you apply this paint with a brush not a spray can, it's not as messy and you don't have to mask anything off. Brainless you said that they didn't turn out as bright as you wanted them too? That's because the hi temp paint is mainly made for engine parts. That and the colour selection at Canadian tire isn't the best. The folia tec kit is a better product by far, trust me I've used both. But I mean it's one persons preference over anothers, and how much you're willing to spend. :)
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZDASPEED STEVE:<BR><STRONG>...Brainless you said that they didn't turn out as bright as you wanted them too? That's because the hi temp paint is mainly made for engine parts...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No I used Plasti-Kote paint made especially for calipers.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
MrsOzx

Post by MrsOzx »

I got the kit too. But what ever you do after you mix the paint and the hardener GET IT DONE QUICK.... You cannot let that paint sit for very long or it will get hard... And even if you put the lid back on it will still get hard. I made that mistake and had to drive around with two calipers painted for a week.. Embarassing! <BR>But it works well and looks good. I also too my wheels off because I already had my rims on. :D
MrsOzx<p>buh-bye........
Giavonni Perelli
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Mazdaspeed Steve - mike_self18@hotmail.com THANKS!<P>MrsOszx - So I have to have all 4 of my rims off at the same time because otherwise the paint will dry up? Or do I even have to take my rims off to get this done? Obviously they'll need more than one coat, so how do I do this if it'll dry up really quick?<P>Thanks! :)
MAZDASPEED STEVE

just do the fronts first then the back ones when the fronts are dry, or vise versa. I'll send you the pics as soon as my digi cam recharges. :) :D
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

I painted mine, but I did it alot different then all of you guys. I took them off and blasted them. After that I went ahead and sprayed undercoat primer on them. It took about two days to dry then sprayed engine yellow paint on them and now they really bright and they don't chip.<P>If the image doesn't work then check out my website, I have done alot to it since this and plan on getting new pics up as soon as it warms up here.<P>]<A HREF="http://www.net-vest.cjb.net" TARGET=_blank>Mike's MX-3 RS</A><P>[IMG]http://home.talkcity.com/ComputerCt/tur ... e-back.jpg[/IMG
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
Coolzombi

Post by Coolzombi »

all my 4calipers are FIRE RED since 2year and i simply clean them all ..dry it and paint it with anti-rust paint(3.99$)and they look like new!!<P><BR>but you have to clean it when you wash your car...oh yeah, and YES you have to remove each wheel.
Friends don't let friends drive stock.

Return to “Appearance”