removing emblems for paint

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
justin h

removing emblems for paint

Post by justin h »

I'm getting my car painted and was wonrdering ho hard it is to remove the emblems. Well, I know it's not hard, but which one aren't just glued on. I'm going to be sanding my entire car so I need to remove the hood emblem also. Another question, how do I get them back on and how hard is it to put a different(newer) emblem on the hood? I lied that was two.
Gruneun

Re: removing emblems for paint

Post by Gruneun »

I just got mine repainted and the hood emblem was put back on upside-down (I know they changed the logo, but come on Maaco. It's only been a few years).<P>I'm not sure how they got it off, but there were 2 small holes drilled in the hood and the back of the logo looked like it originally had some posts on it. They had used a fairly cheap double-faced foam to reattach it. I bought some much stronger, thinner double-faced adhesive tape to re-apply it. You can get a roll at auto stores for a couple dollars. I put several strips across the entire back of the emblem and then used a razor blade to cut out the open spaces. It looks great and the thing isn't coming off anytime soon. If you try the tape, make sure it's straight, because you only get one chance. Otherwise, you'll damage your new paint.<P>Brian
david103

Post by david103 »

the hood emblem has one or two prongs in it that attach it, and all the rear emblems are stuck on. you can take off the back ones with a razor in 1 minute.<P>dave
justin h

Post by justin h »

If I bought a new hood emblem how would I put it on if wanted to use the prongs? The hood emblem is what I was worried about, because of the holes. I don't want to remove the hood emblem forever, but I might be considering leaving off the back ones. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <BR>I ask now because I plan on prepping the paint within a week or two.

Return to “Appearance”