cheap paint job

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
DavePostle

cheap paint job

Post by DavePostle »

I don't have very much money and i have a mx3 that's a aqua green colour which i really don't like... i was wondering if anyone knew an approximation on how much it would cost to repaint it in plain black, nothing fancy... can anyone help me
Bad_Ktty02

Re: cheap paint job

Post by Bad_Ktty02 »

Hey- I was looking at getting my 93 SE repainted b/c i have a lot of dents and dings and stuff... Maaco is the cheapest I looked at (and they're nationwide) and it was about $300 - $700 just for a repaint... be careful though, on the $300-ish paintjobs, they dont include a lot of things you would take for granted... like sanding off the original color. ;) Lemme know if this helps at all!
thanks,<BR>-=*Heather*=-<BR>'93 Mazda MX-3 Special Edition
Gruneun

Post by Gruneun »

I just got mine back from Maaco yesterday. They had a pretty good special going, so I finally dumped the cash into it. I paid $1500 for some parts (bumper, air dam, and weatherstripping), some minor bodywork and surface repair, and application of a matching coat of the original red paint on the entire car.<P>The paint special they were running was based on an "integrated clearcoat" application. Essentially, the first coat is pigment, followed by a couple coats of pigment/clearcoat mix, forming a gradient from pigment to clearcoat. The adavantage to this job is that it will significantly add to the life of the glosscoat. The portion of my cost that you may be interested in was about $300 for the paint and $100 for the surface reconditioning beforehand.<P>If you're looking at drastically changing the color of the car, I highly recommend you get as much of the old coat removed before the new one is applied (surface reconditioning costs go up). Doing that right will be more than it sounds like you're willing to spend, but is the only good way to change color. Talk to your local paint shop. Obviously, the quality of the work is directly proportional to what condition the car is in, the outcome you want, and the money you're willing to put into it.<P>Hope this helps answer some questions,<BR>Brian
DavePostle

Post by DavePostle »

thanks, but i was wondering if you had an estimate on how much it would cost to sand my previous color (aqua green) would cost and then re paint it black... or can i just directly pain the black over top of the previous paint??
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

I am having my car repainted this month and the price for having the car repainted is going to run me about $1500. That should be in the ball park of what u should expect. Probably a bit cheaper because i have rust issues that are being taken care of and some custom things done to the body of the car. <BR> A good shop when they paint your car will usually paint all of those parts like the inside of the door frame and the engine compartment as part of the whole paint job, regardless if the car color is being changed or not. Hope this helps.
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
Gruneun

Post by Gruneun »

When I got mine repainted, they charged me $100 for surface reconditioning. The main portion of that cost was stripping all the paint off the hood. I would gauge that the hood is maybe 20% of the surface area and a fairly flat surface, so stripping the whole car would probably be in the neighborhood of $500-600. Add $300-400 for paint and you're looking at around $1000 for the whole deal.<P>Brian
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gruneun:<BR><STRONG>I just got mine back from Maaco yesterday. They had a pretty good special going, so I finally dumped the cash into it. I paid $1500 for some parts (bumper, air dam, and weatherstripping), some minor bodywork and surface repair, and application of a matching coat of the original red paint on the entire car.<P><BR>u know what..u dont know what ure talking about..."get as much of old paint as possible" that's really wrong dude, u DONT wanna do that, trust me, i am bodyman and i know what i am talking about, older finish provides very nice adhesion for the newer one and u wanna leave as much of it as possible.<P>The paint special they were running was based on an "integrated clearcoat" application. Essentially, the first coat is pigment, followed by a couple coats of pigment/clearcoat mix, forming a gradient from pigment to clearcoat. The adavantage to this job is that it will significantly add to the life of the glosscoat. The portion of my cost that you may be interested in was about $300 for the paint and $100 for the surface reconditioning beforehand.<P>If you're looking at drastically changing the color of the car, I highly recommend you get as much of the old coat removed before the new one is applied (surface reconditioning costs go up). Doing that right will be more than it sounds like you're willing to spend, but is the only good way to change color. Talk to your local paint shop. Obviously, the quality of the work is directly proportional to what condition the car is in, the outcome you want, and the money you're willing to put into it.<P>Hope this helps answer some questions,<BR>Brian</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Gruneun

Post by Gruneun »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> u know what..u dont know what ure talking about..."get as much of old paint as possible" that's really wrong dude, u DONT wanna do that, trust me, i am bodyman and i know what i am talking about, older finish provides very nice adhesion for the newer one and u wanna leave as much of it as possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>First of all, the original question posed was about drastically changing the color of a car. Frankly, that's never something that I think is a good idea unless you're willing to spend some significant cash. Unless he wants some of his eventual chips in the new coat of black to show bright teal underneath, it would be a project which would use a primer coat, not the original paint.<P>Frankly, if "ure bodyman" I would be backing my car right back out of your shop on a suggestion like that. Old paint makes for great adhesion if it's relatively the same (preferably exact) color.<P>Brian
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

u know that u dont know what ure talking about man...i am not trying to make anyone mad or stupid here but i know what i am saying. it it was like '60's u'd better off sanding whole car to bare metal but its newer finish and mazda uses popular finishes like PPG , so older sanded finish would provide good adhesion,u have to sand it yes, but not completely to bare metal
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Gabriel Sandoval

Post by Gabriel Sandoval »

I just got an estimate from MAACO and the guy looked over my car. Im getting my car painted black. The price he came up with was just under $600. This is the supreme paint job. This job will include sanding down the old color, repairing the dents I have on my car, painting, gloss, supplies, manpower, and tax. I will get it repainted after I buy hopefully the pakfeifer kit. I'll provide everyone with before and after pictures.<BR>~Gabriel~
Babie I gots player in me
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

for $600 its ok i think it wont be show quality but should be decent, make sure u pay $600 and u have their documented and signed estimate not just estimators word or they would charge u extra for "additional expeses" lol

Return to “Appearance”