Interior Re-upholstering

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Wheelz

Interior Re-upholstering

Post by Wheelz »

Here's the deal, I've got my 93 RS, with the beige/brown interior package. I'm thinking about changing the dark brown inserts in the seats over to red, no big deal, but how easy do you guys think it would be to change the material in the door panels and the panels around the rear seats. I don't want to do it if it's just going to become unglued in 2 weeks, any input or how-to's is appreciated.
1993 MX-3 RS/GS-R Under Construction
doubled

Re: Interior Re-upholstering

Post by doubled »

I just completed my custom interior, it looks f---ing amazing. My hole interior is white and red. For the door inserts i used a material by the name of sunbrella, it is the only material that i would suggest to use it is weather resisted and it comes in a great red. The adhesive i used was a product by 3m, it is an adhesive spray, 3m 77 adhesive. Do you want to know the truth, the hardest part of the hole thing is removing the existing material so the backing stays intact. Your other option is take somewhere that knows what they are doing and the job for both doors and back seats arm rest will cost you a little over two hundred for the labour and it is roughly 35 dollars a square yard and you will need 2.<P>Good luck<P>Dion
Dion Burhoe
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zum zum:<BR><STRONG>I just completed my custom interior, it looks f---ing amazing. My hole interior is white and red. For the door inserts i used a material by the name of sunbrella, it is the only material that i would suggest to use it is weather resisted and it comes in a great red. The adhesive i used was a product by 3m, it is an adhesive spray, 3m 77 adhesive. Do you want to know the truth, the hardest part of the hole thing is removing the existing material so the backing stays intact. Your other option is take somewhere that knows what they are doing and the job for both doors and back seats arm rest will cost you a little over two hundred for the labour and it is roughly 35 dollars a square yard and you will need 2.<P>Good luck<P>Dion</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>any pics?
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

First of all that guy above probably hasnt done anything to his interior he just read about the guy on mazdamaniac.com . you should read it its exactly the same as the guy above posted the spray and fabric and everything. Pretty amuzing! I just got my seats done in red / black vinyl and i tore off the cloth of my driver side door and was going to put vinyl but its to wrinkly so I got to go buy some good red fabric that doesnt wrinkle much. My pics are on <A HREF="http://drewlude33.tripod.com/carz0rz/" TARGET=_blank>http://drewlude33.tripod.com/carz0rz/</A> its a lame page its just temporary so people can see my stuff. The driver side is done now to and also have red/black mats. I just need to update my pics which will come soon!
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

thanks for the complements! It took about a week and a half for both seats to get completed but you could do it in a week if you can get someone to sew for you a bunch at once. My mom did abotu 3 hours a day of sewing. i just took off my door inserts and im going to buy red cloth for it. I tried vinyl and vinyl doesnt work for door inserts its too wrinkly so DONT attempt it youll be dissapointed. Just find some good cloth and do it with that,youll only need about a yard for both door inserts. My pics will be going up soon of my newly done interiro(but still in process). my biggest tip is to keep checking how the cover is going to fit on the seat. I completed the seat cover and i accidently put a piece on the back where it shouldve been in front so we had to add an extra piece and the front ended up getting alittle wrinkly. make sure you get a hog ring tool and hog rings. THey save a lot of time and hastle its only like 7 bucks to, so make sure and do that. and dont be cheap buy the best stuff youll be dissapointed later. all my materials costed about 100 bucks for the front seat including thread and tools. also you cna save some pieces from the old seat like the padding and just sew your vinyl over that it saves time and money. WEll sorry for the long post hope that helps some people who are trying this! :D
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
Jimmy 789789

Post by Jimmy 789789 »

I tried redoing my door panels with fabric and I just couldn't get it right, either it wouldn't stretch enough and get wrinkles, like you said you got with vinyl, or it strecthed just enough to get rid of the wrinkles and the adhesive would show through. I'm using vinyl now, today actually, and it's working out great. I'm just heating up the vinyl and stretching it to fit the curves. I've got one door panel done, and no wrinkles. Just make sure you get a vinyl(or similar material) that is weather resistant so the heating doesn't f--- it up.
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mazdamxstyle:<BR><STRONG>First of all that guy above probably hasnt done anything to his interior he just read about the guy on mazdamaniac.com . you should read it its exactly the same as the guy above posted the spray and fabric and everything. Pretty amuzing! I just got my seats done in red / black vinyl and i tore off the cloth of my driver side door and was going to put vinyl but its to wrinkly so I got to go buy some good red fabric that doesnt wrinkle much. My pics are on <A HREF="http://drewlude33.tripod.com/carz0rz/" TARGET=_blank>http://drewlude33.tripod.com/carz0rz/</A> its a lame page its just temporary so people can see my stuff. The driver side is done now to and also have red/black mats. I just need to update my pics which will come soon!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>i havn't done much but i've done a bit<BR> :mad: <BR>whats so wrong about asking 4 some pics???? <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mymazdamx3/Graphics/sidein.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/mymazdamx3/Gra ... ein.jpg</A>
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
MX-3 Extreme

Post by MX-3 Extreme »

I just finished my interior and it looks incredible. I have red leather seats with the mazda emblems in the seats and I have the entire interior in red and black glass.<BR>It looks crazy, I will take pic's soon once the system is put back in.<P>Killermx3
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

Alright i plan to have my pics up today or tomorrow, as of now i have the center console an all the vents painted, as well as the seats redone in red/black vinyl and rubber red/black mats(unfortunately they say r racing on them). I also have red pedals and one of my door panels is done but looks crappy i need better material so im going to redo it. Well just though id let you guys know, also a pioneer dvd/cd screen is going in soon only need a couple more hundred dollars :) ill post soon!
psurollsovau

Post by psurollsovau »

there two dif types of vinyl, make sure to use the kind you can heat. doing it with just glue is a fuckn nightmare. i did my dash myself and it looks great. i tried a door...and look out problems, ill be taking them curvey bitches somewhere to be done.
too much s--- to list!
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Hey I'm also planning to comletely redo the interior (I have the god damn brown/beige interior). I'll be using dark blue w/ red and some small parts aluminum/silver. I also want to redo the seat but I probably have make it done by a pro.<P>-How much do you guys think I'll have to spend for all this (seat and paint)?<BR>-What paint do you recommend for the relatively softer parts (like doors and the parts over the dashboard)?<P>Thanks!
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

...oh and 2 more questions.<P>-What do you recomment for primer and clear coat?<BR>-What about the carpet? What do you recomment me if I want them to match the rest?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Thanks for all the responses guys.. i checked out that one website, looks great, and easy to follow instructions.. I'm probably going to wait for the summer, it's a little warmer to work on the car....
1993 MX-3 RS/GS-R Under Construction

Return to “Appearance”