headlight lenses are yellow, what can i do?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
mymx3needswork

headlight lenses are yellow, what can i do?

Post by mymx3needswork »

The headlight covers or lenses (i dont know the correct term) is yellow. Can they be cleaned some how, or where should I go to replace them?
marshmallow15

Re: headlight lenses are yellow, what can i do?

Post by marshmallow15 »

you can clean it off, use a plastic polish compound and i suggest buffing it off rather than wiping it off...works for me...but gets yellow again...if you want to fix the prob permanently, you can buy some glass projecter headlights from mazda for around $300 a pair.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>you can clean it off, use a plastic polish compound and i suggest buffing it off rather than wiping it off...works for me...but gets yellow again...if you want to fix the prob permanently, you can buy some glass projecter headlights from mazda for around $300 a pair.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>try $800
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
mymx3needswork

Post by mymx3needswork »

I'd say that's a pretty big discrepancy in prices. Will buffing do any good?
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

you will definately notice a difference after buffing the plastic lenses. Use plastic polish or if you want I used turtlewax to polish mine and they look almost new. :roll:
Jimmy 789789

Post by Jimmy 789789 »

I had a prob with scratches on my covers, I couldn't find a good plastic polish, but a buddy told me to try mother's metal/chrome polish and a nice buffer. They looked brand new after, but I'd try find the plastic polish first. You can also take it into a detailing shop and they'll use a gritty buffing compound to take off the outer layer of plastic and use a high speed buffer to kinda melt a new finish on. I've seen it done to a new cougar and it doesn't get any better than that.<p>[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: Jimmy 789789 ]
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Cougar Headlights are glass
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

if you want...try this. after buffing your headlights and it's clean and not yellow, quickly spray some clearcoat on it to help prevent damage and the yellow look....it won't TOTALLY prevent it, but it'll help a lot and make it shinier too.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
back alley

Post by back alley »

i bought some metal polish called 'autosol' - but if you read the back it says it will also work on plastic - worked real good for me. i used to use it on my motorcycle and the plastic fairing too!
jrs1874

Post by jrs1874 »

I also use Mother's aluminum polish. I works great.
Jason
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I use blue coral plastic polish. Use 2 waxing pads, 1 to apply, 1 to remove.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marlon:<BR><STRONG><BR>try $800</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They are not that much, last time I checked they were about $500(can)* brand new from the Mazda dealer.<P>(* around $500can. each)<p>[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: Andrew Pakula ]
Gruneun

Post by Gruneun »

I literally just removed the yellow haze from my headlights this afternoon. Though I could ignore it before, I picked up my car from being repainted this morning and could bear it no more. My first instinct was to replace them, but figured I would try buffing them before I ditched them. To say I am excited by the difference is an understatement. I wish I had taken some "Before" pictures for comparison. I was so happy with the result that I did it with all of my lights and reflectors.<P>Do *not* use a tool. You'll get the chemicals on your paint and do more damage than it's worth. Use yours arms and your patience. The end result will be much better. I used several stages of buffing compounds and it took me under two hours. It's very important that you use a new rag for each compound and that you use it evenly. Spend at least 10 minutes on each headlight with each of the stages. Any detailer will tell you to use your fingers to check the surface as they are far better than your eyes for determining if a surface is smooth. I used these compounds in this order:<P>1. Turtle Wax Buffing Compound<BR>2. Turtle Wax Polishing Compound<BR>3. Maguire's Fine-Cut Cleaner<BR>4. Maguire's Swirl Remover<BR>5. Maguire's Show Car Glaze<P>Be careful with all of them, especially the first two. If you get some on your paint, treat it like your a--... wipe gently, but make sure you get it all off. If you take your time, the headlights will look brand new.<P>Hope this helps,<BR>Brian
SmokyMcGee

Post by SmokyMcGee »

my job sells a kit to clean all that sh!t of and make them look brand new, its like 16 dollars.
eD
92 KL-ZE V6 FX-Designs kit
Sparkle Blue
http://smokymcgee.5u.com/index.html

Return to “Appearance”