Erratic Rpms

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Invisible

Erratic Rpms

Post by Invisible »

Quick question for you guys, I have a 93 Mx3 Gs edition Precidia and I have been noticing lately that when I am sitting at a light with the clutch in waiting for the traffic ahead of me to move(of course the light is green, else id be in neutral), and even when i am in 1st or 2nd slowing down the engine revs itself. The rpms fluxuate between around 900 and somewhere in 2000 up and down, up and down but im not touching the accelerator. Idea's? I have been reading that it could possible be a sensor. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
Talon_66

Re: Erratic Rpms

Post by Talon_66 »

Throttle Position Sensor.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

I found this link on one of the other pages, I thought the same thing as you Talon, but I wanted to get some confirmation first. http://www.rs-productions.com/RSP_Motors/tech/tps/tps.htm , by following this I should be able to fix the constant revvign of the engine?

Thanks,
Mike
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Yeah try that out. There are other things it could be. Search and u might uncover more.

Found this

http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=005754#000000

<small>[ December 12, 2004, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: Talon_66 ]</small>
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

When mine did it it was the PCV Valve, $3 part at Canadian Tire.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

Update:

So after I went about and checked my hoses, my pcv valve and everything else I could possibly think of. It turns out it was my clutch spring. Just above your clutch is a little white clip, if you take the clip apart you will find a spring, mine was in 3 pieces. It was just out of luck I happened to think of it when i was sitting in my garage one day waiting to go out. Anyways, the idea behind the problem was that the connector was only making contact some of the time, when it wasen't the rpm's would fluxuate. This is a very cheap fix if you do it at home, probably cost you 30-40 bucks at a dealership just for the clip, just use a good ol spring you can find anywhere( I happened to have one in one of my tool box's).

Invis

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”