Nasty rumour, is it true, KLZE sized 3.0 J-spec 310bhp f

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: Nasty rumour, is it true, KLZE sized 3.0 J-spec 310bhp f

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by Yoda:
Around here there are about 6 or 7 JDM engine imports in town and they get at least one of the AWD tranny on a KL-ZE in each consignment. Since there is no demand for them they go in the big blue bin. The only difficulty is to wire up the center diff. servo, cutting the floor for the both fuel pumps and wire the the transfer pump so that it is not running continously. Also the AWD on the KL-ZE you will need the ECU and tranny control module.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Last time i checked there were not AWD trannies for the Klze its an LSD tranny. And you wont need the control module on a manual nor do you need the klze ecu you can use a kl03 ecu and it will work.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Originally posted by Mnemonic:
Originally posted by Yoda:
Around here there are about 6 or 7 JDM engine imports in town and they get at least one of the AWD tranny on a KL-ZE in each consignment. Since there is no demand for them they go in the big blue bin. The only difficulty is to wire up the center diff. servo, cutting the floor for the both fuel pumps and wire the the transfer pump so that it is not running continously. Also the AWD on the KL-ZE you will need the ECU and tranny control module.

Last time i checked there were not AWD trannies for the Klze its an LSD tranny. And you wont need the control module on a manual nor do you need the klze ecu you can use a kl03 ecu and it will work. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I guess you didn't check very hard. Who said anything about the AWD tranny for the K series engine being an MTX. I believe it wasn't me. The Capella station wagon were mostly sold as AWD with the KL-ZE. The same drive train was also sold in europe in the Xedo6 but with a -DE. Also Mazda took a turbo KL AWD Capella sedan to the Geneva and Frankfurt auto shows as a concept car back about 4 years ago.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

Thats pretty sweet that the ZE comes in AWD.
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS
New Time 13.82 at 101.75 2.205 60ft (RIP beast klze engine)

Updated mods now... KFZE, SS Autochrome Headers and a Sweet a-- 3' Electric Cutout after it, KFZE LSD trans, Millenia manifold, KL36 ecu, Blown motor mounts, custom CAI, Custom ground wire kit, 9mm Plug wires, 2 1/4 exhaust, (Hei and MSD external coil mod), all accessories.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

omg...this thread is so full of misinformation i'm not even going to begin to comment.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
omg...this thread is so full of misinformation i'm not even going to begin to comment.
C'mon, you're dying to tell us.... :)
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Seems like this kind of thing has been going on alot lately. I figured let it run wild and see just how stupid a thread could get.
mjlohman

Post by mjlohman »

Some may say this is a stupid thread but for anybody who is in the climate I am, ans AWD MX-3 GS is a dream. I think it'd be great.

Thanks to all that offered information about this change, and since I am considering the KLZE and there is a chance that it has AWD ability, I will give it another look.

Happy Holidays to y'all.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

if you want AWD, buy a WRX... you'd probably save some money if you bought a used WRX instead of converting an MX3 to AWD.

If you do decide to go ZE AWD, good luck... no.. BEST of luck and get your checkbook ready.
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

There might be A lot of misinformation in this thread, but the information provided by Yoda (Vaughn) is probably as good as can get. No one and I mean no, on here has done as much research into mazda and related models. Hell the man was one of the pioneers of the DE/ZE swap.
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

Originally posted by mxer4eva:
There might be A lot of misinformation in this thread, but the information provided by Yoda (Vaughn) is probably as good as can get. No one and I mean no, on here has done as much research into mazda and related models. Hell the man was one of the pioneers of the DE/ZE swap.
yah i believe yoda over the rest as it was his info i used to get the swap done in australia.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i didn't have a problem with what vaughn posted. I mainly was laughing at "klze-sized". Obviously you've never seen a JE removed from the 929...they are frickin enormous powertrains.

As for converting to AWD, its been discussed at least once before. The mx3 is not on the same chassis, it is on the same unibody as the BG familia/323/protege. The gas tank and most other stuff does bolt up but the AWD unibody is different as it allows room for the driveshaft and larger rear suspension beam (the fuel tank is also much smaller). Cutting will be required to get any of that to fit the mx3 as the floorpan is in the way in a few places. It isn't as easy as it sounds and IMVHO it isn't worth it.

It would be easier to buy an AWD protege and somehow bolt or weld the MX3 body to it than to swap the AWD suspension & drivetrain to an MX3 unibody.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mjlohman

There are a lot of things I don't know about cars

Post by mjlohman »

I'm far from being a mechanic. Maybe I should have said the same "type" of configuration, mounting whatever. In fact, I was using his words.

I had considered fixing up this car to keep it awhile and thought it was possible. I've decided against that now; too much work.

I'm looking at a VW R32. I drove one of the VW dealer's demos in Germany and I was impressed by its overall performance. Since I don't like turbos, NOS, superchargers, or the sort; it's perfect. The fact looking very conservative also has its perks.

In any case fellas, I'm looking at selling the MX-3 next year some time. If you are interested, it needs some very light body work but is for all intensive purposes perfect after that. It is completely stock and I'd estimate it to have roughly 112K miles on it next summer.

It's a 92 GS in Elegant Beige metallic. It runs so well I often have people swear it's a newer car and only MX-3 aficianados know that's the color Mazda canceled the first year. It's a rare find indeed. Nothing has been done to it, imagine the possibilities. Bidding will start at $2K (I'll let it go for $3.5K now), and you can come pick it up. Keep your eyes here and on ebay. I live in Montana so you guys from Canada might want to keep your eyes open for it as well.
purewhitemp5

Mazdaspeed6

Post by purewhitemp5 »

The MS6 also has a new direct injection system that would require a whole list of parts to be installed along with the 2.3 . Even if the 2.3 did bolt on it would make the swap even more difficult and expensive trying to make the injection system work.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

that said the probes have a LOT more room under the hood than the MX-3.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”