O2 Sensors

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rinkymx3

O2 Sensors

Post by rinkymx3 »

Does anyone know what the Mazda part # is for the O2 sensors for a K8 engine?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the bosch universal O2 sensors?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: O2 Sensors

Post by Custommx3 »

yes, search and ye shall find it.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i am using bosch, good stuff

<small>[ December 09, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

were they expensive?
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by rinkymx3:
Does anyone know what the Mazda part # is for the O2 sensors for a K8 engine?
Front K806-18-861A
Rear K805-18-861A

The difference is probably just the cable length.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You will likely find that if you ask for sensors for a 1993 Ford Probe 2.5L, your sensors will be cheaper. The ones for the 2.5 are a direct fit, but the part numbers are different for some reason. For instance, when I went to Autozone, K8 sensors were $85 a pop, and KL sensors were only $53 a pop.
drewleedham

Post by drewleedham »

i'm no a mechanic wizard, but i did a diagnostic check and i think my check engine light is on because of my 02 sensors. what might the difference in my driving experience be if my sensors were gone/going?
FOR SALE: 93 MX-3 SE
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

buy some universal 4 wire o2 sensors...

ngk sells a pretty decent set all you gotta remember is how to splice the wires:

NGK Universal 4 wire O2 sensor

NGK-------->Factory
Black-------->Blue
Gray-------->White
2 White-------->2 Black

<small>[ December 10, 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: johnnyb ]</small>
drewleedham

Post by drewleedham »

thanks, i'll check back here when i pick some up, but i was mostly wondering if my 02 sensors were affecting my driving experience.
FOR SALE: 93 MX-3 SE
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

o2 sensors will affect performance because it tells the ecu if there is too much or too little gas being injected into the engine. although it isnt a huge performance gain every little thing helps. Also if your o2 sensors are bad you'll have bad emissions coming out of your car, so environmentally its a good idea to change too
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

O2 sensors will not effect performance. They are only used by the ecu when you are cruising around. Under heavy loads, acceleration they are not used. If they are bad they will effect emissions and gas mileage though.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

they will affect performance... if they arent working properly they will send the wrong signal to the ecu telling it to send more gas to the engine, now with too much gas to air ratio the engine doesnt run correctly and in turn lowers your performance.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

what tsimiata was trying to say is that performance is when we are WOT and at WOT they don't use the o2 signals. who needs performance when you're cruising :shrug: They will afect gas mileage though
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

at WOT the ECU goes into closed loop mode, it ignores all sensor inputs
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by papa roached:
at WOT the ECU goes into closed loop mode, it ignores all sensor inputs
Small correction; at WOT the ECU goes into open loop mode, which uses mapped values for fuel (but still uses the coolant temperature and VAF signals), and ignores the O2 sensors.

Under cruising conditions, the ECU runs in closed loop mode, which uses the O2 sensors as well. So it's correct to say that performance at WOT will not be affected by the O2 sensors, but economy and emissions whilst cruising will be.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”