Car start problem.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Car start problem.

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Since the ribbed intake hose is already taped, sounds like the tape seal has loosened enough to allow unmetered air thru existing crack(s). Yup, this can easily cause the car not to run and will mimic a lack of gas which technically, is correct. You have so much extra unmetered air entering the intake stream that your engine can't possibly match that extra airflow with enough gas to compensate. Happened first time for me to my MX-6 and drove me nuts figuring out the prob. I was ready to buy a new fuel pump until I checked the fuel flow and it was within spec. Then I fully removed that ribbed intake hose and finally found a hairline 2.5" crack between the ribs on the underside. That crack was opening up enough uner intake pressure to cause the car to start for a second, then it would rock n roll for a 1/2 minute if I goosed the gas pedal real heavy and die.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

I just retaped that sucker up and after removing the old tape noticed a HUGE crack. So i took electrical tape and rolled it into strips to fit inside the ribs. then taped all around it.. Im thinking there was WAY to much air getting in and the reason was because we just had our first few really cold nights, and with the cold im guessing the plasic has retraced causing the cracks to widen.... Once I re oil my air filter I will try to listen for the fuel pump... But hopefully allt his fixes something!
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

I listend for the pump and it did make that small buzzing noise u said.

I got taped up the cracks... so... I dont know what it can be. If it's making a sound does that mean the pump is ok??? I will try the spark plug thing now.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Well everything seems in order... sigh... I can't even get it to a garage either....
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

so it turns, but wont start?

Did you check you timing belt?
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Yeah, turns but nos tart. Everyonce on awhile it will shake like its JUST aobut to start up. Im going to check the manual but what is the best way to check the timing belt?
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

take off the two bolts on the timing belt cover (EDIT: bolted into the left side of the front valve cover.. sorry i forgot to specify, since there are like 20 screws holding the cover.)and pry it open a bit and peek to see if you see rubber or a cam gear.

rubber = good

cam gear = bad

if you see rubber, get a friend to carefully watch and see if it turns nicely when you try and start or if the belt is broken (ie. cut somewhere making it not turn the cam gears)

<small>[ December 05, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: bmwm3guy ]</small>
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Ok well did what u said. Got scared when I saw the cover and saw 80k scratched into it.. was afriad that was the last time it was replaced.. but anyway i convinced my sister there was no way she could die and i got her to pry it open and watch it she said it turned fine. I looked, and the belt seems brand new... which is odd... as ive driven it 60k myself... and who knows ** long before hand... So anyway we can rule that out.

Timeing belt, ok. *edit for the bolts i chose the 2 on the left side that were most accessible.
Airhoses ok(as far as i can tell)
Getting spark
Fuel pump working. as far as i know anyway, as long as i hear the buzzing noise it means its working right?

Anything else?

<small>[ December 05, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: bradmx32003 ]</small>
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

damn dude... this is f#%^@d

does it just turn and turn? or do you hear a few sputters now and then?

Try taking off the front fuel line and see if any fuel comes out. It will be under pressure, so take a rag and cover it not to spray yourself.

Honestly, Im running out of ideas. Im no mechanic, but you have air (obviously), spark (you said all the plug wires are working. Maybe the spark plugs themselves? but that would mean most of them are done.. so im guessing no), the fuel pump sounds to be working (check the fuel line to be sure), and the timing belt is on and your cams are turning...

The timing belt could have jumped a notch or two causing not to start. In order to check that, you'll need to remove the accessory belts, tentionners and remove the crank pulley as well. Then unbolt and remove the timing belt cover and line up the notch on the crankshaft pulley (the one that the timing belt is running on. You can do this by turning the cams by hand usually.) with the arrow (it is at the top of the pulley). If all is ok, then there are some notches located on the side of the cam gears, they should line up to some little marks located on or near the valve covers. Very hard to explain and lengthy to do. I'd seriously take that to a mechanic, but if you feel upto it there is no better way to learn!

Keep us posted, Ill help as much as I can.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Ok will try looking for the fuel line... i dont suppose it is the thing below the brake fluid resevoir is it? my manual doesn't show me anything about the fuel lines.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

no no... look on the front fuel rail on the driver side. There is a thingy (read: Fuel Pressure Regulator) on the front fuel rail that has a fuel line coming out below it. Take off the metal pinch-brace and remove the fuel line.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

ok, well i see what u are talking about.. and god that clamp thing was increicly tight and awkward... couldn't even move it.. now... assuming gas came out.. what would would my next step be?

and if there was no gas what would it be?
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

ok, alternatively, take out one spark plug and smell it. Look to see if it is wet, or if it smells like gas and it's wet. If it is wet right after you try to start, then you are getting fuel. Sorry I didnt think of that earlier, I was brain dead at work. I thought of this on the way home. ;)

If you're getting fuel... Im afraid I dont know what else to try besides check to make sure wires are in the right places. While standing in front of the car facing the motor, the cylinders are numbered:

1 3 5
2 4 6

The disty has the numbers written on the cap. But man, I dont know what else to try. Sorry dude, you're on your own.
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Did you check for spark yet as suggested?

Did the car stall while driving before this problem occured?

Does it turn over fast or slowly?

Yes having a cracked air intake tube will cause your car not to start if its bad enough.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

well car sarted today... miracle? who knows... but it started rough with lots of shaking.. which went away after about 2 minutes. it now has a high pitched squealing sound. so im thinking its coming from a vaccum line somewhere.. im going right to a garage becasue i dont know if it will start again.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”