Car start problem.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Bradmx32003

Car start problem.

Post by Bradmx32003 »

So my car is not starting, it is turning over, so battery and alternator are not the problems. The car is getting a spark then. So im guessing engine isn't getting gas. I bout gas line antifreeze because I thought the cold would have been the problem. Put it in yesterday... tried to start car 15 minutes later... no go, 30 min after that... no go.. 4 hours afterward.. it starts... so I thought to my self that must hvae been the problem. Wake up for work this morning... wont start again.. same problem. Car turns over, but wont get gas. put more antifreeze in, still nothing. Could it be the gas pump?? And if it were.. wouldn't it be a problem that would start out small and get worse all the time and not just all the sudden? Anyhelp would be great, as im in quite a jam here!
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Car start problem.

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

How did ya verify the spark? Being able to crank the starter doesn't mean you're getting a spark at the plugs. Just means you have a functioning battery and starter motor.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Well, I assume that in addition to the car turning over.... the shaking that follows indicates that there is a spark trying to ignite(or whatever the hell it does) the fuel.. just that there is not enough of it..

Also, I may be full of S***... I dont claim to be smart or anything lol.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Ahhh, the shaking wasn't mentioned in your first post. 1st thing to check is easy and free. The problem could be unmetered air entering your intake through a crack in that large rubber ribbed air intake hose. I see you have a stock setup and a 92. It's common (and overlooked problem) for hairline cracks to occur between the ribs when the ribbed hose gets this old. Best way to check is remove it and flex it while carefully inspecting 360 degrees for any cracks. A temporary seal can be made with duct tape until you replace it. Anyway, check that and post back once you rule it in or out. Also check all vacuum hoses to be sure none are loose or cracked.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Hey sorry, I just noticed I did forget to mention that. But that rubber hose is already taped to hell with lots of elctrical tape.... I had a vacuum problem before so most things in my car are taped haha. I will go through and check fro cracks in everything.. and retape that ribbed hose. I can't see it being the problem. A car wont just stop starting altogether from this. It would be sometihng that gradually gets worse I would think. But I will check it.

Any other ideas? Gas pumps look to be about 250canadian before taxes... and I can probably get free labour... but im going to try the wreckers first. Are there any other cars I might find a gas pump? I heard a 323 is similar... Any help would eb great!
Macen

Post by Macen »

Bad grounding maybe? Get a cable and connect it between the chassi and the engine block.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Really? So theres nothing weird about how this just all the sudden happened? Like I mean car was running fine and this is all out of the blue. I can't see grounding being an issue at ALL...

Anyone else think this? Does anyone else agree it could be the gas pump? *sighs*
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Take off one of the spark plug wires from one of the sparkplug holes, and stick a screw driver in the wire so that it is in contact with the metal connector. Now hold it close (within 5mm) of one of your strut bolts. Get a friend to try starting the car while you hold it there and see if you get any spark. If it does this for all the plugs, then you have spark.

At this point I would make sure all your grounds are properly connected. Hell, I'd temporarily throw a new one on just for ****s and giggles. Takes two minutes.

If she STILL doesnt start, double check that you still have a timing belt. If its there, then I dunno.

I went through the same process a few months ago when I got my first ZE. Turns out there was 0 compression on a few cylinders and thats why she wouldnt go.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Well im glad you never said it was my gas pump... as those are expensive... not including labor haha. Will do what u said, thanks for the suggestions guys.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

not to pop your bubble, but it could be the pump too. Lift the back seat so that you can see the metal plate covering the Pump. Turn your key to on and listen to see if you hear the pump make a small noise. Like a buzzing sound.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

*gets out manual to find out how to pop back seat*
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

there should be two little plastic tabs that you can push on and it un-latches the bottom part of the seat. Not a huge deal to do this, you wont need your ratchet. Just find the two notches sticking out a little from underneath the bottom seat cushion by your feet.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Just a little asside here but if anyone has a chilton manual do they find it crap? Gonna listen for the pump now, just got to reinstall airfilter (cleaning it) and clean my throttlebody, and making sure my hoses are air tight. Hopefully this well let me know what is esactly wrong.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

would an air leak cause the motor to not start? I didnt think so.. I thought it would just make for a funky idle. But I guess if it is big enough I'd understand. Try the disty, and prey shes not dead... $$$$
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Yeesh i just replaced that damn thing last fall..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”