Headers on the 2.5 V6 kl 03 in the mx-3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ManiacMx3

Headers on the 2.5 V6 kl 03 in the mx-3

Post by ManiacMx3 »

Hey everyone im looking into getting headers for my car. i have a 93 mx-3 with the 94 probe gt engine. i was wondering if anyone has put headers on this engine in this car yet and if they were easy to put on or hard to manage to fit in the bay. someone please let me know what they think and what type i should go with! I was looking at pacesetter thanks guys.
mxmaz

Re: Headers on the 2.5 V6 kl 03 in the mx-3

Post by mxmaz »

i hear pacesetter is crap, hotshot headers are the best. But people recommend obx (hotshot knockoffs)for there good price and are supposed to be pretty good. They fit with little modification, IIRC the cat has to be relocated a little bit further back
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7937513345&category=33631
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Avoid the pacesetters like the plague. The fit is terrible, they're just not made correctly. I believe it's OBX that makes a decent cheap set. They will fit just fine in yor mx-3, engine bay wise anyway. You will need to have a new cat put in since the old one won't bolt up to the headers. Most people are using the magnaflow 2.25" or 2.5" high flow cats off ebay. They run ~$75. The catback will need to be modified a little too. The modifications and fitting of the cat are nothing that a decent exhaust shop can't do in an hour or two.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Im not trying to steal this thread but i asked some similar questions earlier on in my own thread..

I still have a few questions that we both could benifit from hearing the answers to, if anyone has answers :)

I wanted a set of Ssautochrome/Psituning headers like theese: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7932235310&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Because i knew for a fact that the headers fit and was quite good, but then the ****ers sold out the stock with no warning, not going to produce them again either :( And theres no pictures showing the EGR hookups on the headers either...

So has anyone put a set of OBX headers on their MX-3? and what did you do about the missing EGR-pipe??
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

obx=ssautochrome..same thing..if you look at ssautochrome site they show obx boxes
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hmm Babublue your right theres pictures of OBX boxes with their headers in the toppictures on their page :confused:
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

have you asked the seller of the obx if the egr pipe is included or not?
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
Street-Import
Supporting Member

Post by Street-Import »

nope OBX is different than SS Autochrome

SSautochrome started their business selling OBX products. Then they decided to copy the design and have them mass produced overseas. After that they dropped OBX and continued on their own. Everything that SSautochrome is selling is now fabricated by a manufacturer company in Scotland which is now closed and this explain why they are not selling the Probe/Mx6 Hotshot style headers anymore since its not in stock anymore and discountinued until they find a new manufacturer.

As you can see its not the case with the OBX headers which are still available but lightly more pricy.
1quikmx3

Post by 1quikmx3 »

Well guys I put a set of these headers on my mx-3 and I dont think its worh it. On the set I got I had to relocate the o2 bung on the front header, and also had to cut a chunk out of my cross member, as with any set of headers there is a lot of prep work needed and one our cars the results dont make up for the cost. O ya and the sound out of them is disgusting, no good at all.
H&R springs ZX2 struts short shifter 17"s OBX headers flowmaster just waiting for klze time
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

thx for clearing that up for us Pat. 1quikmx3 it sounds like you got the older version not made to fit the MX-3. and maybe the sound are better on ssautochrome..I also bet the sound can vary alot depending on how the rest of the exhaust system are done :shrug:
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
1quikmx3

Post by 1quikmx3 »

I was thinking that it was the rest of the system that was garbage so I got a flowmaster 60 and a I flow cat and still that lawnmower sound! I am hoping that the klze will fix that and as for the egr just weld it up you dont need it.
H&R springs ZX2 struts short shifter 17"s OBX headers flowmaster just waiting for klze time
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

My hotshots fit perfectly, only modifications were for the cat and catback.

As far as sound goes- all the headers I've heard for these cars all sound the same. A little too ricey. I know I don't really like the way my car sounds now. I figure though I put them on for performance not the way they sounded.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

1quikmx3 Did you put on a set of the above mentioned OBX headers and had all thoose problems with them? :(

If so i guess OBX headers wont fit or work on our MX either..

Havent got the time or equipment to start altering the headers to fit correctly while trying to install them and if i had removed the original headers i would be without a car untill the headers got back on :confused:

<small>[ November 30, 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Dennis Jørgensen ]</small>
1quikmx3

Post by 1quikmx3 »

its very tight space to connect the egr.
ya I do have the obx headers. A very good muffler shop may be able to connect the egr but I dont think so.
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

That sucks to hear, and they even look so much alike on the pictures :crying:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”