Whats making it smoke so much

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Matrix733

Whats making it smoke so much

Post by Matrix733 »

1993 mx3 1.8l v6

when i start the car, in about 30 seconds to a minute, there is smoke comming from the front and rear of the enging.

I have to turn it off immediately. I looked and it seems restricted to the exhaust manifold area, mainly the front. I have the manifold off right now as autozone sold me the wrong gasket, so i will have to wait till i can get one from the dealer or elsewhere.

What would cause this? Could the oil pump have anything to do with it, like not pumping the oil ect, am lost here.

need some help, thanks.
Knowledge Is Power ; Keep Cracking
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Whats making it smoke so much

Post by IanL »

It could just be the exhaust gas leakage. There is a lot of water in it, and if the air temperature is cold, it will condense into steam droplets (clouds really ;) ).
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Could be a leaky valve cover gasket or the oil pressure sending unit on the oil filter housing leaking.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Matrix733

Post by Matrix733 »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:
Could be a leaky valve cover gasket or the oil pressure sending unit on the oil filter housing leaking.
I did change the valve cover gaskets but i think the oil sending unit maybe the culprit as i noticed that there was drops of oil dripping from the filter but on observing it closer, it seems to be comming from above the filter.

the car is high on jackstands so i can see underneath (on my creeper, lol)

There must be something seroiusly wrong as its not getting the oil as it sounds loud like an oil starve engine and literally its just smoking from the front and rear manifold and of course through the muffler after a while.

I will get the exhaust manifold gaskets and oil sending unit on thursday, so i will put them on and let you know. thanks
Knowledge Is Power ; Keep Cracking
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

These engines can make quite a racket when first started. Especially if they've been sitting for a while. The thinner of an oil you run seems to help out. Using a good quality oil filter will help some with the noise too. The higher end filters have better check valves to keep oil from draining out of the engine while it sits.

The noise is from the valve train BTW. It's the slop between the cam and the valve before the hydraulic lash adjusters fill with oil.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”