Car not running right

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Car not running right

Post by solo_ryder »

Hey, i got a few questions. First off my car takes along time to warm up in the morning, iam thinking its the thermostat, could the EGR being plugged have anything to do with this? secondly, I think my car is running to rich, you can smell fuel in the exhuast fumes :)
mazdaownz

Re: Car not running right

Post by mazdaownz »

The blackish smoke comming out of your exhaust pipes could be caused by either a dirty fuel system or engine, or it could also be caused by internal rust, but that is not as likely.

If it is just a dirty fuel system or engine then you can take some engine/fuel injector cleaner, I recommend "seafoam" www.seafoamsales.com

You can get it at autozone or checker or any other places like that.

I used to have the same dark exhaust problem and i just used the seafoam, now it is fine. If that is it, then i also recommend that you use seafoam at least once every other month if not every month.

If you don't know how to use it just PM me.

Peace Out
92' MX3 GS teal, mazdaspeed air intake, 15' Konig rims...soon to put about 6k into entire car, engine and exterior.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sweet, i'll try that. Did you seem to have any power gains by using this, plus did fuel economy increase? I almost positive that its a dirty engine/fuel system, even though all i use is techrom 94 octane. but that is just for peace of mind.
mazdaownz

Post by mazdaownz »

It definatly increases your power, especially if you have not done it in a long time.

The fuel economy increases a little bit but not too much. When you put it in billows of smoke come out of your exhaust which is kinda a cool effect ;) .
92' MX3 GS teal, mazdaspeed air intake, 15' Konig rims...soon to put about 6k into entire car, engine and exterior.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sweet, how did u apply this stuff, did u put into the gas tank, or did u go thru the PCV valve or the throttle body like it states? also have u tried it in the crankcase?
mazdaownz

Post by mazdaownz »

Well normally i put a little bit of it in each spark plug, and after that i put whatever is left in my gas tank.

Don't overload in the sparkplugs or it might choke and take it a while to get started. The best place to put it is in the spark plugs because that is where the biggest power and performance change will be, it is also better because it helps clean all the dirt and gunk out of the engine.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Darn, I went to napa today and they dont have it here up in canada :( do u think just regular injector cleaner thru where the sparks plugs go would work too?
mazdaownz

Post by mazdaownz »

It should work just the same, seafoam is just the type i normally use.

My brother uses a different type but it basically does the same thing.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

sweet, so how much should i use?
mazdaownz

Post by mazdaownz »

Well, an easy way to do it is to put about half in your gas tank, then the rest you should evenly distribute small ammounts going through each cylinder and just keep going until you run out.

Or you can do it the math way and divide the can in half which equals the ammount for the gas tank and then divide that half by six(which equals your spark plugs.)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”