Cooling the engine

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Vitale999

Cooling the engine

Post by Vitale999 »

How can I keep my K8 engine from getting so dang hot!? It's rediculous how hot my entire engine bay gets. Any suggestions?
lakersfan1

Re: Cooling the engine

Post by lakersfan1 »

Phenolic spacers. Look at the giant ad banner at the top of V6 Forum pages.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

air vents/scoops, pheno spacers, aftermarket bumper with big opening, better fans
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

try so exhaust wrap and insulation for all the pipes. that would go along with all the other things talked about here
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
Vitale999

Post by Vitale999 »

What is the "coolant bypass mod" and how do you do it?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Vitale999:
What is the "coolant bypass mod" and how do you do it?
The coolant bypass mod is a mistaken idea that by removing the hot coolant supply to the throttle body, you can improve performance. All it does is prevent the air bypass valve from operating, so your idle is ****ed in cold weather, and it could help to promote icing of the TB, which would reduce power, increase fuel consumption, and could even bring you to a halt.

Why is the hot engine bay a problem, anyway? The car is built that way, and the engine works fine under those conditions.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

lets add redline waterwetter to the list also
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by SIXPACK:
lets add redline waterwetter to the list also
Good call. Could also install an inverted style CF hood that would vent the engine bay.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

here is a question... I have a stock K8 from 96... but I don't have any heat issues, it never makes it over 1/3 up the heat scale, let alone above half.

So why would you need to cool the engine compartment more?

Yeah, heat shielding, the proper mixture of water to rad fluid, spacers, larger front opening(though we have a fairly large opening in our stock bumper for air), and inverted hoods are good ideas for cooling it more.

I only ever once had an over heating problem in a car and that was an 85 RX-7 sucking in hot exhaust off an SUV in traffic through a very small front opening... and it went right back down once I started moving.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

It's not so much what the temp gauge reads, as the amount of heat retained by the "heatsink" effect of Mazda engines and the resulting warmer than desired intake temps.
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

This question seems to me it comes up a LOT!!! Well even though I haven't been on here in forever as it seems

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">water wetter</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Exhaust heat wrap, both mani's about 1ft' before the cat IF YOU HAVE ONE</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Phenolic spacers a must</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">slimmer more effecient coolant fans</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Front bumper with larger opening</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Inverted hood or hood with an ACTUAL hoodscoop cut out vents etc....</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wrap your intake with exhaust heat wrap to keep a MAJORITY of the heat out</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OR...COMPLETELY REMOVE YOUR HOOD IF YOU WANT NO HOOD HEAT...THAT SHOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM...lol :D</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I'm sure quite a few will disagree with me, but here goes anyway:

When you're getting your engine to deliver a lot of power, you are sucking in a large volume of air per second, and the flow rate is going to be really high. I don't think the air is in contact with the hot metal of the inlet tract long enough to pick up an appreciable amount of heat - plus - it's only the air in contact with the metal which is heated, the rest would have to be heated through convection, and that's not going to happen in that quick rush through the inlet tract.

Now one way to prove this would be to install a fast reacting thermistor in one of the runners, in contact with the air, but not the metal - anyone in a position to do it?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by Rope:
This question seems to me it comes up a LOT!!! Well even though I haven't been on here in forever as it seems

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">water wetter</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Exhaust heat wrap, both mani's about 1ft' before the cat IF YOU HAVE ONE</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Phenolic spacers a must</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">slimmer more effecient coolant fans</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Front bumper with larger opening</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Inverted hood or hood with an ACTUAL hoodscoop cut out vents etc....</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wrap your intake with exhaust heat wrap to keep a MAJORITY of the heat out</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OR...COMPLETELY REMOVE YOUR HOOD IF YOU WANT NO HOOD HEAT...THAT SHOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM...lol :D</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Why would water wetter cool your engine bay? It will in no way shape or form have any effect on the engine temperature. It will only allow better heat transfer into the water. Since your thermostat is controlling the water temperature the water wetter can't make your engine run any cooler. Never mind reduce engine bay temps.

I wouldn't use a hood scoop either. At highway speeds your radiator is cooled by the air rushing through it. If you have a hood scoop that just vents into the engine bay you are making the air pressure in the engine bay the same as whats in front of the radiator. If the pressures are the same then no air will flow through the radiator. The hood scoop could also cause the car to be more unstable at high speeds. You could be forcing air under the car which is a bad thing. Postive pressure under the car makes it want to fly.

Phenolic spacers aren't really a way to keep the engine bay cooler. Just your intake manifold. The heat that was going into your intake manifold still has to go some where. It will go into the radiator and be dumped out over the engine. It's an improvement I'm sure. It's not really keeping the entire engine bay all that much cooler in the end though.

I think a list of things that heat the engine bay would be helpful in thinking about this. I'd say the three biggest culprits are-

#1 The engine itself. Theres lots of 200 degree+ surface area to radiate out heat. Short of ceramic coating the entire engine I can't see how to prevent this one. ceramic coating of the intake manifold and maybe the valve covers would help a little.

#2 The exhaust. Ceramic coating of the pipes and header wrap should really help this one out.

#3 The radiator. It's just dumping all the extra heat the engine makes right into the engine bay. The only way I see out of this one is to duct the radiator right out of the hood. There isn't much room up front to do it but maybe its possible.

<small>[ November 24, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”