ZE intake retainer

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx-3 Guy

ZE intake retainer

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

I broke a retainer in my ZE and I was wondering if any of you guys might know where I could find one.

If anyone has one laying around just let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: ZE intake retainer

Post by babyblueMX3 »

like I said on probatalk..I'll give you one when I'll take them off the heads..shouldn't take too long..for when do you need this ??
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Mx-3 Guy

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

As soon as you get them off im trying to get it back together so I can try it one last time before the snow flys.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

well it has already started to snow here today :)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

You should really take all of the off and have them tested. When one breaks usually at least 2 or 3 more have invisible fractures line that can only be found by non-destructive testing. Out of 12 on one of my engines 2 broke, 1 had a visible crack on the stepped side of the retainer and 4 more had invisible cracks radiating out for the center. On another engine 1 broke and 6 had invisible cracks. Just replacing the broken ones is only going to be a bandage on the problem. You will probably find another one split soon after. Had a place in Montreal made replacements for free. I have to supply the technical drawings and length of EM-40B (Alloy similar to American 4340 except stronger and lighter) round stock I had laying around. They have been installed but never used so I cant tell you if them work better that the stock. I am currently using std. diameter aftermarket replacement retainers in my ZE with stiffer conical taper springs made for me as a favor. Big advantage here is less valve float at high rpms but with less spring seat pressure.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”