Advice Needed

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
trancebabeuk

Advice Needed

Post by trancebabeuk »

I've had a mooch around the forum and you all seem to know at least a billion times more than I do about the car that I have been driving for the last 4.5 years so here goes with the questions.

I have a 1995 MX-3 1.8 V6 and almost 2 weeks ago, I parked up outside my house after a trip out.

I didn't need to use my car for a couple of days and in that time, we had some really heavy rain (in the UK - and car has never liked the damp)

Went to start it and it turns over - but doesn't fire into life.

Lifted hood, scratched head and sprayed wildly over Disty, Plugs and leads with trusty WD-40.

No joy.

Looked at ignition wires and one had a greenish corrosion on the disty end - and another had been put on by previous heavy handed mechanic so that the connection had gone sideways right through the boot before going into the disty.

So I ordered new wires and fitted them this morning but still no joy.... :(

New battery 4 months ago, new plugs 11 months ago - re conditioned disty approx 13 months ago ( had same-ish problem then but had more warning that something was wrong)

Likely to be the Disty again or something a whole lot more serious ?? What do you think ???

:dunno:

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Re: Advice Needed

Post by Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE »

Sounds like a similair thing to what's wrong with mine - at least in that it cranks but wont fire up.
Will be taking to Mazda for a diagnostic.. will post an update in my other thread
Mazda MX-3 Limited Edition
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
http://www.destr0yer.net/car-sig.jpg <-- click!
trancebabeuk

Post by trancebabeuk »

Well Flaming Heck....

Just called out a mobile tuning guy who helped me last year and he jiggled a few wires ( checked the firing order) and put a new set of plugs in and...

Va Va Vooommmmm....

Dave - I really hope you get yours sorted soon. Thanks for your reply
:)
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Post by Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE »

Ah excellent! Glad yours has been sorted so easily.

I'll continue praying that mine will at last be back on the road soon.... :)
Mazda MX-3 Limited Edition
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
http://www.destr0yer.net/car-sig.jpg <-- click!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

If "previous heavy-handed mechanic" is the one who changed the distributor, I wonder if it has the gasket properly fitted. That might be the point of entry of moisture.

It would be worth opening it up to check, and giving it a good clean inside with meths or similar.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm would you by any chance know..what wires he giggled?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
trancebabeuk

Post by trancebabeuk »

Given my really limited knowledge I know that - he checked the firing order of the leads I had fitted ( he removed the disty and looke at that also.

(The leads I bought were Magnecor's)

Then he also had a look at the fuel injection line - which was no problem apparently.

He then just stuck a complete new set of plugs in and started her up. She now goes like a rocket.

One worrying thing he also said was that when he took one of the plugs out ( number 5) there was some oil on it which I understand is due to a "head gasket leak."

I also understand that this may come back and bite me on the bum in the future.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by trancebabeuk:
One worrying thing he also said was that when he took one of the plugs out ( number 5) there was some oil on it which I understand is due to a "head gasket leak."

I also understand that this may come back and bite me on the bum in the future.
That's a worst case diagnosis. It could easily be worn valve guides letting a bit of oil trickle down from the valve gear. Keep an eye on the oil level on the dipstick.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”