weird rpms when car is in gear

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
koreanmx-er

weird rpms when car is in gear

Post by koreanmx-er »

so when im sitting there idling my car normally idles at around 600rpms just fine no half stalling or rough running engine, then when i put my car in gear , or any gear for that matter my revs go to 1500 and then drop and then go up to 1500 and then drop continually, and this is only when the car is warmed up and at a good idle to begin with , im confused , i thought the obvious , duh vacuum leak , well non there, but if there was a vacuum leak then it would be constant even if i wasnt in gear right? and it happens when the rpms go up when your in gear the ecu automatically adds rpms so its easier to take off without stalling, but im totally lost here any real help is greatly appreciated, and this problem has just been happening in say the last 2months :( thx ahead of time for help guys

<small>[ October 23, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: koreanmx-er ]</small>
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
Zetgohan

Re: weird rpms when car is in gear

Post by Zetgohan »

is your MAF plugged in all the way?

try using an electric contact cleaner on it to make sure its a good connection.

<small>[ October 23, 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Zetgohan ]</small>
ZEmadman

Post by ZEmadman »

mine does the same thing...well, did. i havent changed anything on the car. make sure your connectors around your airbox and throttlebody are all secure.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by koreanmx-er:
so when im sitting there idling my car normally idles at around 600rpms just fine no half stalling or rough running engine, then when i put my car in gear , or any gear for that matter my revs go to 1500 and then drop and then go up to 1500 and then drop continually, and this is only when the car is warmed up and at a good idle to begin with , im confused , i thought the obvious , duh vacuum leak , well non there, but if there was a vacuum leak then it would be constant even if i wasnt in gear right? ...
Not necessarily. When the rpms rise, the engine rocks over on its mounts due to torque reaction. That can flex the rubber piping (particularly the one between the VAF and the TB) and open up a small crack.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

the crack in the tube when engine rocks seems like a good point but i have an aftermarket cai so no rubber tubing , umm im gonna try the cleaning out the vaf connections
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

if you reset your ecu and if the car is still learning then you also might want to set the car into diagnostic mode by jumping pin 2 and 10 i think they are.... i think.

Then set the idle when the cars hits idle temp.

Also check the IDLE screw, if its all the down and closed it can cause that rpm up down problem.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

its pin 10 and a ground
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

well cleaning out the vaf connections did jack squat , i'll try resetting ecu tommorow :shrug:
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

It made sure they weren't dirty and proved that wasn't the fault though.... :)
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

im still lost here guys!! any help? :(
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

you adjust your TPS?
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”