PERMENANT Distributor ignition module FIX & External

Why does my engine tick? How do I swap? All common V6 questions answered in this archive only forum.
papa roached

Re: PERMENANT Distributor ignition module FIX & External

Post by papa roached »

started collecting parts today, went over to my grand pas and asked if he had a GM HEI controller, turns out his 68 GTO had a HEI disty in it and it was shot when he got the car, and replaced it, poped it open and the controller is pretty much brand new :D
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

did mine using stock coil, runs alot more smooth
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Diddo, currently using the k8 coil, but theres always the upgrade later ;)
i already have a spare k8 distributor

BTW, where if your overflow resevoir?

<small>[ October 20, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

same place it was put at the factory

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

cool, good to see some ppl try this.

where'd you locate your HEI module?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

got mine out of a disty my grand pa had laying around that was in his 68 GTO when he got it, not origional but poped it open and it looked brand new, its a NAPA part, number is TP45

GRO FOR PRES!

<small>[ October 20, 2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by papa roached:
same place it was put at the factory
Can't be, unles i'm looking at his engine bay wrong, he has his CAI going there...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i was thinking you were asking me

ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

in march of 04 i hooked up a pertronix flamethrower hei module. it worked great...for about 2-3 days and then i started having problems with my car barely running when idleing. I usually had to keep it running between 1500 and 2000 rpm so that it wouldn't die on me and then sometimes it would hesitate really bad when i would try to take off. i put up with this bull for about a month while i researched how to hook up an external coil. at the time the only info on how to do this was for the PGT and MX6 which have completely differnt wire colors. Turned out that colors made no difference because the location of the wires is identical. Once I had the new coil installed it ran great...for about a week and then started having similar problems again but it was not as bad and less frequent till finally one day it wouldn't start at all.(of course i was moving the next day from North Dakota to Florida and now i'm without a car) My local mazda dealership took me in for an emergency repair. $380 later i found out that the long plastic rod with the metal tip, located on the disty cap needed to be cut off because it was causing arcing between the rotor and the carbon "button" (located on the disty cap)possibly due to a short.
Thanks to my awesome dealership and techs everything has been fine since and I was able to leave town just a couple hours late
I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem but thought i'd make note of it.

Also recommended but not required: get a resistor with a higher watt rating. The 1/4 watt resistors aren't as durable and the wire will tend to break easily if moved around to much. The higher watt resistors use a thicker gauge wire that is able to withstand more abuse.

good luck with install

PS: keep a copy of the wiring diagram in your car at all times cuz eventually something will go wrong and it'll happen when you're in the middle of nowhere.
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

Would this cap be suitable for the mod ???

Looks like it has 7 towers/connectors, and it is a helluva lot cheaper than probesports one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7931075868&category=33688
1994 MX-3 ZE
custom101

Post by custom101 »

Would you know of the procedure to wire this in with an MSD 6AL? Basically, I'd rather get rid of using the 3055 transistor and use the HEI module. I don't want to remove the 6AL completely because I want the rev limiter. I know there was a write up on PT but it seems all the links are no longer valid.

Thanks.
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
12.21@114
Yeah it's stock...
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

just wanted to say thanks for posting this up, you just saved me $450 bucks. My pops and I just finished installing everything and it works great. although my mx3 does not seem to have the get up and go that it had before the coil went out. but still it works great. thanks.
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 speed6, Wife say's i can't work on it.
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin Replica
2006 toyota tacoma
1995 MX-6 in pieces almost ready for the junk yard, To much body damage.
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

If people are still reading this...lol. seriously though It has been a couple of weeks now and starting to have a few problems with car. It loses power sometimes during acceleration then kicks back in after a second or so. Has anyone had this problem when they installed the external coil? This does not happen all the time mostly when it is cold. also is anyone using an accel ext coil? Oh and Happy Hollidays to everyone.
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 speed6, Wife say's i can't work on it.
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin Replica
2006 toyota tacoma
1995 MX-6 in pieces almost ready for the junk yard, To much body damage.
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

I'm not usually a hater, but I'm here to dis PRD, lol. I was treated very rudely by the whole Myrtle Madness dealio when going for my first time this year, and he/they no longer allow MX-3's to park - therefor, I will NOT buy any of his stuff. I'd rather my baby look crappy, lol. Hear that, NO MX-3's (or anything other than a Probe/MX-6) @ MM from here on out - so if you go, don't pay like they told me to do, and IMO, don't go at all, lol. I figure I'll be "there" next year, but nowhere near the event. I'll be soaking up Myrtle Beach itself. So as to keep this on-topic, haha, Thanks a bunch for the write-up. I've been wanting to do it for years but not had the chance. Maybe this year, along with ZE heads, regrinds and headers...
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
msequence

Post by msequence »

Someone please post the KLZE wiring diagram. Thanx

Return to “V6 FAQ”