Starter or Battery? HELP, PLZ

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
sugawolf03

Starter or Battery? HELP, PLZ

Post by sugawolf03 »

I am having some trouble with my car and unfortunately I don't know much about cars(even though I should) and that is why I am coming to my fellow mx-3 drivers for some help. Now, according to what you guys told me on my last post- I hooked my battery up right, however the car still does not work. The only thing that works is the clicking noise. And also you must keep in mind that the battery being dead is CERTAINLY not the problem because I got it charged before I turned it in. ANd the radio and the lights work just fine after I installed it.<BR> What I think the problem is, is either the starter or a bad terminal connector, because the terminal connector(the one that connects to the negative side) is lose when it is on the terminal and you can physically move it with your hand ( now I dont know if that is a problem but it seems like a potenial one if you ask me. )I mean is it really important that the terminal connector is on really tight?(because mine wont go any tighter and it still wiggles but the other is on VERY tight) So, is that the problem? and how much does a new starter cost? HOw much does a new terminal cost? keep in mind that I doubt I could install them myself. THANKS A MILLION! YOU GUYS ARE SAVING A LOT OF GRIEF AND HEARTACHE!!!!!!!
GMGQ

Re: Starter or Battery? HELP, PLZ

Post by GMGQ »

Well if the clamp is loose on the negative end, get a wrench and tighten it. Your engine isn't "tool free" like a computer case. It probably isn't your main problem (since your radio and lights work), but it's better to screw it on tight so that it's got a good solid connection to the battery terminal.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sugawolf03:<BR><B> What I think the problem is, is either the starter or a bad terminal connector, because the terminal connector(the one that connects to the negative side) is lose when it is on the terminal and you can physically move it with your hand ( now I dont know if that is a problem but it seems like a potenial one if you ask me. )I mean is it really important that the terminal connector is on really tight?(because mine wont go any tighter and it still wiggles but the other is on VERY tight) So, is that the problem? and how much does a new starter cost? HOw much does a new terminal cost? keep in mind that I doubt I could install them myself. THANKS A MILLION! YOU GUYS ARE SAVING A LOT OF GRIEF AND HEARTACHE!!!!!!! </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

SugaWolf, you've got to get the negative terminal as tight as the positive, the car's lights don't need as much amperage as the starter does; that's probably why the engine won't turn over.
Frenchguy0

Post by Frenchguy0 »

You might also want to check your alternator, but more than likely it's your starter. I think it's about US$ 300-400.<P>------------------<BR>Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

To get your terminal tighter (if it is made of lead) do the following. First, unhook the battery for safety reasons. Next, if the connector for the negative is made of lead (most are) and it is a Top post design, then there should be a bolt that goes through a hole on the connector. If you look, then chances are that where the bolt goes through, the two ends are pressed together real tight. The connector should be roughly (very roughly) similar in shape to the letter "U". What I mean by this is that the connector is attached at bottom and open at the top. With this in mind, where the top of the letter "U" is, that is where the bolt should be (the bolt squeezes the top of the "U" together to make it stay on the post). If you check, what is probably happening is that the top of the "U" (where the two parts meet where the bolt is) is touching before the opening is small enough to make a tight clamp on the post. What you will need to do is to shave off some of the metal from the top part of the "U" (where the top parts meet eachother). This will allow the top to come closer to eachother, thus making it a smaller hole in the middle of the "U". This should make the connector nice and tight on the post. Be sure to be careful and only try this if the connector is made of LEAD (otherwise, the metal will be too hard to shave off with a knife or whatever). Hope this helps and sorry for the length.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”