Cooling fan starts after 2 min

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kenped8

Cooling fan starts after 2 min

Post by kenped8 »

Just got my klze engine running today it sounds great. Only thing that is wrong is the cooling fan starts after only 1-2 min. The klze only have one connection for the cooling fan and two coonection`s on the k8 wiring harness. So i just keep`t the extra connection hangin. What can i do to control the cooling fan?
Klze,CAI,Exedy clutch, HM Engine mounts, HM ss exhaust system,Cobra lowering springs, 18" wheels.
DJester187

Re: Cooling fan starts after 2 min

Post by DJester187 »

i have the same issue. but my guy that did the swap spliced them into the one temp sensor for now. the only way to fix it right is to drill and tap the sensor from your k8 and pop on the clip that you have hanging. it's only a few minute job but if you don't want to drill ur filler neck you could just leave ur fans running, it won't do much xcept steal a bit of power. ps the splicing thing isn't a very good fix b/c each sensor is a different voltage, so my fans are on anyways.
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

My alternator burnt up after 3 months when the fans ran all the time.

My how to page on installing the sensor is dead right now. I'll try to get it back up in the near future.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

well don't want to have to replace that...i have all the parts to do the tapping, thanks Gro. (except the drill bit, cuz i don't know the size) i should get moving on that then. :idea:
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
kenped8

Post by kenped8 »

Thanks for the help! I took the sensor from my spare 1.8 and planned to tap it in the weekend. I think the tap is a M12x1.50 but not completly sure thoug.
Klze,CAI,Exedy clutch, HM Engine mounts, HM ss exhaust system,Cobra lowering springs, 18" wheels.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

so this fixes the ZE fan being on all the time?

TSI did you get your site back up to display this fix?
cause i hate my fans always being on.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

If I'm understanding this correct - 2 water temp sensors on original K8 - one to turn fan on and the other to turn off - correct? That means that each of these sensors has different threshold settings (one's high and one's low)? High one turns on, low turns off?
KLZE has only one temp sensor location available therefore utilize the "turn on sensor"?
David - nice old thread to revive - learning something new all the time = which means I'm starting to get disappointed with Steve at A-Spec.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

lol
yah ive never seen a diagram of where to drill the hole in teh ZE or where to place the new sensor for the ZE so if anyone can help

muchos gracias
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

DavidOS wrote:lol
yah ive never seen a diagram of where to drill the hole in teh ZE or where to place the new sensor for the ZE so if anyone can help
muchos gracias
DITTO
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

look at your old K8 right around the filler cap, you will see where it needs drilled and you cant splice them both into one sensor before they both have different readings
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

papa roached wrote:look at your old K8 right around the filler cap, you will see where it needs drilled and you cant splice them both into one sensor before they both have different readings
Thanks for clearing that up P.R. Was I on track with my theoreticals?
BTW, can't see the old K8....resting in piece...LOL. Will have to track down another un-modded MX and look under the hood to get orientated. Unless someones got a pic of there K8 that clearly shows the sensor location.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

I swapped the whole filler neck from my k8. It saved a lot of hassle. I'd go to some junkyards to see if you can find one of those before drilling and tapping the ZE one. Or, I have my ZE one still if someone wants it to drill and tap it while it's out of the car. Or a spare if you screw up the first one. :P
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

pictures are easiest:)
got a digital camera?:)

snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

jschrauwen wrote:Will have to track down another un-modded MX and look under the hood to get orientated. Unless someones got a pic of there K8 that clearly shows the sensor location.[/color]
I have an un-modded V6 one if you want pics.. do you need some specific pictures of a certain part of the bay?

I have some fairly high-res pics (but they are shrunk from the original, so I can upload the 2288x1712 or something one if you need it) online here...

http://www.snellgrove.co.uk/stuff/pictu ... 200011.jpg

http://www.snellgrove.co.uk/stuff/pictu ... 200055.jpg
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

YA close up pics of the filler neck, of the coolant filler .

See where the sensor needs to be put in or tapped in.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”