Knocking engine...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
storm99

Knocking engine...

Post by storm99 »

Hi All,
I have got an odd tapping/knocking noise coming from the left hand side of the engine bay...
At first I thought it must be the lifters, so I changed the oil (put in some 5w/30 Semi Synth) but the noise still remains.
If you stick your head inside the engine bay, it sounds like the noise is coming from the belts or timing gear...
Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?
It's a standard 1.8 V6 by the way.
Thanks in advance,
Storm
Racing
\Ra"cing\, a. & n. from Race, v. t. & i.
The alchemy that turns base metals into heat, noise, power
and motion.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/storm99
synap
Supporting Member

Re: Knocking engine...

Post by synap »

Hey, I have the same issue right now. Took it in and they say it the cam springs(the ones that hold the tension on the second set cams to keep them in place) and / or the timing belt tensioner arm. They told me its ok to still drive but to get rid of the ticking I should fix it.

Anyone in Ottawa know were I can get this parts cheap?
storm99

Post by storm99 »

Thanks man. I suspected the tensioner arm (someone mentioned something similar in another post from a while back).
Do you know if any long-term damage is caused by not fixing this, or how much it would cost to get done?
Racing
and motion.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The worst that can happen from a bad timing tensioner arm is your timing belt slips a couple teeth, and your car starts running like crap. Some have even had the belt slip in such a way the the cam teeth tore up the belt. Worse case scenario is your engine siezes up. But at least our engines are non-interference, so even in that event, it's not too much more work to get it back on its feet. No head or bottom end work would be required.
synap
Supporting Member

Post by synap »

They said it will drive fine, it's just more annoying with the ticking sound :) . The tension arm if it goes as lakersfan1 said, your timing belt can get chewed up slowly or stop working...

Mazda quoted my about $300 CAN or so to fix just the tensioner arm :( dang..! the cam springs with the arm they quoted me also $860 CAN (w/tax & labour) damn these expensive toys...

so i'm probally just going to live with the ticking :D

just need to find a place in ottawa that can do this.

<small>[ August 10, 2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: synap ]</small>
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Mine does that too, the read head does it..not the front one. When they rebuilt the engine..they didnt mess wuith the heads i guess.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
storm99

Post by storm99 »

Thanks everyone.
I guess I'll just live with it until the next cam belt change (only another 6 months). Hopefully it'll be OK until then. :confused:
Racing
and motion.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

DUDE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM MY MECHANICH TOLD ME I SHOULD JUST ADJUSY MY CAMS AND THAT SHOULD DO IT BUT IF YOU GUYS SAY ITS THE TENSION ARM AND ITS MORE THAT ONE OF US HAVING THIS PROBLEM THAT MAYBE IT MIGHT JUST BE THAT...........WHAT HEADRES DO I PUT IN THE CAR WHAT HEADERS FIT??? HELP A LITTLE MEXICAN MAN OUT
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Honestly, I haven't heard a whole hell of alot of people ACTUALLY having the friction gear spring noise. Mechanics diagnose it alot, but when people make sound clips of it, it's almost always a tensioner arm. Mechanics are dumb.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

My alternator bearing went and made a really nice ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from the valve train.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”