Are All Gaskets Created Equally?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Redhouse

Are All Gaskets Created Equally?

Post by Redhouse »

i need to replace my valve cover gaskets and i was wondering if there are some gaskets/gasket sets that are better than others.. and where i could get them?

or are OEM gaskets just as good as anything else i'm going to be able to hunt down for a K8?
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
lakersfan1

Re: Are All Gaskets Created Equally?

Post by lakersfan1 »

Unless you're running some obscene amount of forced induction, standard gaskets should be fine. Which gaskets are you looking for? IF you want to replace everything including head gaskets, a 'head gasket kit' includes every single gasket on your engine. You can search www.stopshopanddrive.com for the gasket you're looking for. I think the full K8 gasket kit there is like $250 or so. Otherwise, you can piecemeal the gaskets you need, although if you want the head gaskets themselves, those are usually only part of the full gasket set.
Redhouse

Re: Are All Gaskets Created Equally?

Post by Redhouse »

i'm not running any boost... and i am looking for the valve cover gaskets (front and back). I won't need to replace the Intake Manifold gaskets because I'm going to install the phenolic spacers from outlaw on my K8 and the kit comes with IM gaskets.

thanks for the help.. it should be easy enough to source those two gaskets from the mazda dealer..
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”