Which version of Rear disc brake Caliper?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
umbrau44

Which version of Rear disc brake Caliper?

Post by umbrau44 »

I recently had my car (93 MX-3 GS) in to get an oil change and I was told that I need new pads and rotors on the back. I'm planning to do that myself in a week or two. It is possible that it was caused by the e-brake not releasing completely because it has been a little sticky at times.

Anyway, how can I tell which version of calipers is installed? I have read here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/probemx/p_p1.htm that they were upgraded partway through the 95 model year to eliminate the sticking problem. I was thinking if I had the old style that I would replace the calipers at the same time.
'93 GS. Stock for now.
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Which version of Rear disc brake Caliper?

Post by IanL »

There is only one version of rear calipers for the MX-3(checked in the parts database). The article applies to 626, MX-6 and Probe only.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
umbrau44

Post by umbrau44 »

Well, I guess I'll have to use my head a little more next time. It would definitely explain why I couldn't find more information on that subject.

Some parts are the same between the two and I thought that the brakes was one area where they were.

Thanks for setting me straight!

What parts database are you talking about? Is it online?
'93 GS. Stock for now.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by umbrau44:
...What parts database are you talking about? Is it online?
No, I have it on my PC - ebay.co.uk ;) You'd have to tell Windows you're in the UK to make it work fully, if you got a copy.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”