Which fuel filter to use?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Pie006

Which fuel filter to use?

Post by Pie006 »

Hey everybody. I've been searching for a while now and I can't find anything on what kind of fuel filter to use as a replacement for my '92 mx3 gs. All my local shops and stores say the fuel filter for my car has been discontinued and it is only available by my mazda dealer. Can't I just use some type of ford probe or mx6 fuel filter??? If yes then what year should be fine for the car to get the fuel filter from??? Thanks, :shrug:
Luke
lakersfan1

Re: Which fuel filter to use?

Post by lakersfan1 »

I believe the thing with the Probe/MX6 filters is both ends go straight, whereas the MX3 filter has a 90 degree bend on one end. You can get the Probe one to fit fine, but you may need to buy another run of fuel line from the parts store as well to make sure it can reach the fuel rail OK still. But I bought mine at Autozone only......6 months ago? It was a ridiculous $25, but one of the stores in district had one in stock without ordering.
Pie006

Post by Pie006 »

Thanks for the advice. I tried my local pepboys and autozone and got the same answer everywhere. They tried checking district stores as well, even my local suppliers don't have it, so I guess I have nothing else to do but to try adapting the probe filter. I checked the pepboys fitting book and I've noticed that both the probe and the mx6 have different fuel filter numbers for the 2.5L engines. I wonder if I should look into both different types and see what the difference is? Mabye i will find one similar to the mx3s? :confused2:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Search for it online..I dont klnow about junk yards. But Im sure there are a few good used fuel filters out there. If they dont got them in your city..why ot have someone else or online look for it?? im sure they got it somewhere.

-hec
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

id use clear style fuel filter if you can get one. so you can see when it gets dirty
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Pie006

Post by Pie006 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to expand my search a little bit. I noticed AC Delco has one available for mx3s. I'm gonna try to order them online.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Parts America AKA- Discount auto & Advance Auto, has four different ones listed as being able to ship in one day

http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.asp?SourceArea=&PartType=4&PTSet=B&Description=Filters+%26+PCV+Valves&SourcePage=PartTypes&SearchFor=Fuel+Filter
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Street-Import
Supporting Member

Post by Street-Import »

get it at mazda, the one in the engine bay is 40$CAD here and the one on the fuel pump (in tank) is 36$CAD

<small>[ July 26, 2004, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Street-Import ]</small>
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I know that GS uses two one in tank and other one in engine bay, what time do they replace them at like 50K or??? and ~$25 is a lot for one filter... thats where I dont like mx3, too expensive to maintain
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”