Underhood tempetures..how to make them colder?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Underhood tempetures..how to make them colder?

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok..so I notive my k8 underhood tempetures are hot..compared to other cars. How can I help this car be a bit cooler up front? I knopw of removing the weatherstripping..but doesnt this get the engine dirty when it rains?? its asacrifice im willing to take...how can I get this engine to run cooler? its not overheating.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Underhood tempetures..how to make them colder?

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
...how can I get this engine to run cooler? its not overheating.
They've been running that way since 1991... why worry?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yea you dont have to worry but if you want engine temperatures cooler time to ceramic coat! but really the k series motors run hot, but they were designed that way
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You can get a phenolic spacer for the intake manifold and hope the exhaust carries more of the heat away underneath the car rather than stay on the top.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you could also add a scoop to your hood and get an aftermarket bumper with an open mouth in front like the Pak front. take off the hood insulation and get some pheno spacers..that all I can think right now
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
you could also add a scoop to your hood and get an aftermarket bumper with an open mouth in front like the Pak front. take off the hood insulation and get some pheno spacers..that all I can think right now
Oh yeah. Forgot. Invader styple carbon fiber hood should let alot of heat out.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

put a shop fan under the hood lol, probably a hood with a scoop would be the best bet.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

oh ive also heard that holes in the fender work(like the Z3/Z4 BMW style fenders) they could probably dissipate some heat.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

no it won't really work...z3 fenders won't alow air to go in your engine bay but IN your fender itself
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

body kit, hood with scoop, water wetter in coolant and youre gonna be pretty cool :2thumbsup:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Best thing you could do would be to get a hood scoop and wire the condenser cooling fan to kick on when the engine cooling fan does (assuming you have a condenser cooling fan).

<small>[ July 20, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

how about putting a big freon tank in your trunk and running a big compressor off of the engine to make an underhood airconditioner? :freak: :welder:

<small>[ July 21, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: johnnyb ]</small>
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

A body kit and hoodscoop will keep you a lil cooler while in motion...Water Wetter both in motion or a stop...Phenolic spacers both ways again...And for the exhaust I used thermo-tec Wrap....Wrap up your exhaust manifold along with your Downpipe and it should decrease up to 50% underhood heat which is quite a bit
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok..what is watter wetter? where do I buy? that exhaust wrap sound like a nice thing to do :D , what about for the intake?? can I just remove that tube where the air comes in? and what about that oddly shaped tube that is blocked that states k801 on it?

-hec
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

Water wetter is an engine coolant....pick that up at most auto stores.....Thermo-tec is a wonderful product as where most of your heat comes from the exhaust....You can most likely pick that up off of ebay...and install an after market CAI system and run it down into the ffender beind the headlight......all in all if you go with a front air dam( Front Bumper) and hood scoop, water wetter, Thermo-tec exhaust wrap, outlaw spacers and an after-market CAI( wrap the intake with this stuff to keep the heat out.....Thermo-tec works both keeping heat in areas you want it or areas you don't...that's what so great about it) But you should go that route, It's great anyway if your planning on Fixin it up anyway...give it a try
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”